About Music Online
Music Online delivers audio recordings, liner notes, biographies, and images. Over 49,000 albums. The resources you search include:
- American Song
- Hear the music from America’s past as well as recent additions. Genres from country to Motown music are covered within a growing collection of over 6,700 albums.
- Classical Music Library
- The world’s largest multi-label database of classical music recordings. Over 14,000 albums.
- Contemporary World Music
- Delivers the sounds of all regions from Bollywood to Balkanic jazz to Arabic swing. Over 16,000 albums.
- Jazz Music Library
- A comprehensive collection of jazz. Thousands of jazz artists and genres Over 8,600 albums.
- Popular Music Library
- Provides access to a wide range of popular streamable music from around the world that is not available in Music Online’s more genre specific collections.
- Smithsonian Global Sound
- A virtual encyclopedia of the world’s musical and aural traditions — more than 2,900 albums of music, spoken word, and natural and human-made sounds. A free track to download is offered each fortnight.
- Build playlists using content from anywhere in Music Online — and from anywhere on the web. You can annotate your playlist, keep it at a permanent URL for private use, or share it.
- Playlists can include multiple recordings of a single work, the score, a video performance, web pages, and a biography and photograph of the composer.
- Built-in playlists match leading music textbooks and ready-made playlists for university-level courses.
- Suitable for early high school students and up. Includes some children’s music.
- Over 300 albums across all genres from, or about, New Zealand.
Every object in the collection is indexed for subjects, historical events, genres, people, cultural groups, places and time periods. As a result, users can make highly targeted queries. You can also create your own playlists with this help guide: