Minutes drawn up by the First body of the Canterbury Colonists at their rooms (Typescript)
Summary Typescript of the original, handwritten minute book for the Society of Canterbury Colonists, a group established in London for the settlement of Canterbury, New Zealand. The minutes of the society continue as the Society of Purchasers of Land in Canterbury; the Society established when the settlers arrived in Lyttelton.
The minutes of the London meetings of the Society run from April 25th to August 15th 1850. The minutes include acknowledgment of a gift of books that became part of the library of the college library; setting of fares; the take up of ship cabins; discussions on the name of the capital town of the settlement; the establishment of a paper. The first meeting minuted after arrival is December 20th, 1850. The Society reconvened as the Society of Land Purchasers in the Canterbury Settlement in 1851. The minutes of Land Purchasers meetings, held in Christchurch, start from early 1851. The final meeting in the minutes book is dated January 22nd, 1852.
- View images of Minutes drawn up by the First body of the Canterbury Colonists at their rooms (Typescript)
- View section of Minutes (Typescript), March 18, to June 6, 1850 as PDF [4.1 MB]
- View section of Minutes (Typescript), June 13 to December 31, 1850 as PDF [5 MB]
- View section of Minutes (Typescript), January 7 to July 28, 1851 as PDF [4.2 Mb]
- View section of Minutes (Typescript), June 1, 1851 to January 22, 1852 as PDF [3.2 MB]
- View complete Minutes drawn up by the First body of the Canterbury Colonists at their rooms (Typescript) as PDF [16.6 MB]
- View catalogue record of Archive 16
Collection location Archive 16, Item 2
Publication information Unpublished
Archive 16 contains two versions of the minutes; the original, handwritten volume, and a typescript copy. A transcript of the minutes was created in 1953 by C.R. Staubel, and gifted to the Canterbury Public Library.
- Minutes drawn up by the First body of the Canterbury Colonists at their rooms 1A Adelphi Terrace [London] : the "Society of Canterbury Colonists" April 25, 1850
- Minutes drawn up by the First body of the Canterbury Colonists at their rooms (Typescript)
This material has been digitised from the Archives and Manuscripts collection of Christchurch City Libraries.
Copyright status of these items:
We believe the items are free of copyright. If you have information to the contrary, please let us know.
General Copyright and other restrictions
This material has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. Please contact Christchurch City Libraries if you have any questions relating to the use of this material. It is the responsibility of the user to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.