Avonside Anglican Cemetery
- Avonside Anglican Parish Cemetery Tour [271Kb]
Guide based on cemetery tours that take place as part of annual Heritage Week events. The guides are from the research and notes of Richard L. N. Greenaway.
In December 1855, the parish of Christchurch was divided into the parishes of Papanui, Riccarton, Avonside, Upper Heathcote, Lower Heathcote, and Christchurch with Middle Heathcote. Money was collected, land given, trustees and church wardens appointed. In February 24 1857, Avonside church and burying grounds were consecrated by Bishop Selwyn, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
Situated just to the east of the Stanmore Road, on the Avon, entrance is gained by means of an avenue about 40 feet wide and perhaps 350 feet long, planted with English and native trees and shrubs. At the end of this stands a quaint wooden porch and gate - a "lych-gate", opening on to the churchyard, in the centre of which stands Avonside church, by many thought the prettiest in the province.