- January 10
- "Antarctic" (Captain Morrell) anchors in Lyttelton Harbour, which he names Cook’s Harbour.
- First skirmish between the invading North Island Ngati Toa (led by Te Rauparaha) and the Ngāi Tahu at Kaiapohia. Te Rauparaha plans revenge after 8 of his chiefs are killed.
- October 29
- Te Rauparaha charters the "Elizabeth" (under the unscrupulous Captain Stewart) and sails for Akaroa.
- November 6
- Te Rauparaha’s war party massacres the inhabitants of Akaroa and returns to Kapiti Island with captives and a cargo of human flesh.
- Information for this resource was based on the second edition of John Densem’s Christchurch chronology: a history of settlement. Environmental Policy and Planning Policy Unit, Christchurch City Council, 1990.
More about the Christchurch Chronology.
- This resource includes links to various other local history resources on our websites and images from our photographs collection - clicking on the image will take you to a larger version of that image.