Early Residents of Fendalton
George Gould (d.1941), son of the founder of the firm of stock and station agents later known as Pyne Gould Guinness was an early resident of Fendalton. In 1891 he bought "Avonbank" a property of eleven acres running from the Avon River to Fendalton Road and built his home there. The house was in Fendalton Road, approximately opposite Wood Lane. A photograph taken in the 1920s shows a large imposing wooden home. George Gould died in 1941 after 18 years as chairman of Pyne Gould Guinness Ltd.
Frederick Maurice Warren
Another director of Pyne Gould’s was Frederick Maurice Warren, grandfather of Sir Miles Warren. born 1862, he joined Lewis & Gould as a junior in 1882 and started a career spanning 62 years eventually becoming a director of the firm. His property "Waipuna" in Clyde Road covered seven acres of which three were in garden; it was known as a showplace.
Harry Bell Johnstone
Harry Bell Johnstone arrived in Canterbury in 1858 and practised as a solicitor with William Wynn-Williams. In 1866 he was elected to the Riccarton seat in the Provinical Council defeating John Shand of Shand’s Emporium. (It is thought Shand’s Emporium was built for Johnstone as office premises about 1860). For a time Johnstone was Provincial Solicitor. He was also one of the main speculative land buyers of early Canterbury, buying most of his land at Oxford and Sumner. In 1869 he imported emus which he presented to the Acclimatisation Society. He bought ten acres of land west of Fendalton Road (near Hagley Park and the railway line) for £300 and built a seven-room house designed by Frederick Strouts, architect of the Canterbury Club. On his marriage to Isabella Munro of Lincoln in 1883 he moved to Tauranga. He died in 1894 and his widow sold the Fendalton land for £1500.
Richard William Fereday (1820? - 99)
Opposite St. Barnabas Church and long since demolished, was the home of Richard Fereday and his wife who emigrated to Canterbury on the "Queen of the Mercey" in 1862. In 1864, after being admitted as a barrister and solicitor, Fereday set up practice in Christchurch. He became an inaugural member of the Canterbury District Law Society and later a member of the N.Z. Law Society.
It was as an entomologist that Fereday was to become best known. In England he had developed a knowledge of moths and butterflies and he maintained this interest when he came to N.Z. His first scientific paper was published in London in 1867 and by 1872 he was able to identify 300 species, most of which were new to science. This work continued throughout his life, and in his last published paper he listed 616 New Zealand species.
Most of Fereday’s collection of English and NZ insects was presented to the Canterbury Museum; the NZ material forms a very important early record of the country’s fauna.
Among Fereday’s other interests were archery, art (he helped form the CSA), education, In 1881 he supported the establishment of a system of meteorological stations in Canterbury.
His wife, Mary Ann Fereday, described as an active parish worker, died at Fendalton 31/05/1890. Fereday himself died 30/08/1899. He had been an enthusiastic amateur who made a considerable contribution to science in 19th century New Zealand.
- The architectural heritage of Christchurch. 2. Shand’s Emporium. Christchurch, N.Z.; Town Planning Division, 1982.
- Dictionary of New Zealand biography. Volume two, 1870-1869. Wellington, N.Z.: Allen & Unwin: Dept of Internal Affairs, 1990-1993.
- Penney, Sarah E.W. Beyond the city: the land and its people, Riccarton, Waimairi, Paparua. Christchurch. Penney Ash Publications, c1977.
- Stevens, Percy G. Pyne, Gould, Guinness Ltd: the jubilee history, 1919-1969. Christchurch: Pyne, Gould, Guinness Ltd., 1970