Nurses’ Memorial Chapel
Published by Planning Policy Unit, Christchurch City Council, 1990
The Christchurch Hospital Nurses’ Memorial Chapel was built during 1927 and 1928 and is located on the Christchurch Hospital site fronting Riccarton Avenue. Although twice threatened with demolition, the building’s future has been secured.
The chapel is of vital cultural importance:
- as far as can be ascertained, the only purpose-built, hospital chapel which commemorates nurses who died in the Great War, in the world,
- New Zealand’s only memorial chapel to women who died in any war or the 1918 influenza epidemic,
- New Zealand’s first hospital chapel,
- a repository of memorials to local, national and internationally known medical men and women,
- an architecturally significant building with a late Gothic Revival structure and Arts & Crafts Movement-inspired interior that incorporates significant works of art, including stained glass windows by Veronica Whall.
Following the earthquakes of 2010 and 2011 the chapel suffered damage and as at May 2013 remains closed. The chapel has been braced and it is believed it is able to be repaired. Items from the chapel have been stored for safe keeping. For more news check the chapel website.
- The need for a hospital chapel
- The Marquette disaster
- The influenza epidemic
- Moves to build the Memorial Chapel
- The architect (John Goddard Collins)
- The chapel’s life
- The stained glass windows
View Nurses’ Memorial Chapel [4.4Mb PDF]
- The architectural heritage of Christchurch Series
- Heritage information at Christchurch City Libraries
- Heritage information at the Christchurch City Council
- New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere Taonga
- ICOMOS New Zealand
- Books on the History of Architecture in Christchurch