Name: Martin Baynton
Date of birth: 13 February 1953
Place of birth: London
Now living in: Whangamata
- What is your favourite food?
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Being attacked in a supermarket by an angry elderly woman.
- How do you relax?
- I have horses and I do a lot of riding.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- A. A. Milne
- What were you like at school?
- Very quiet, serious and hard working.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
Most hated was Latin (had to do Latin and Greek when I was 9-11 years old).
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- When we were very young, by A. A. Milne.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Leonardo da Vinci
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Charles Dickens
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I loved books, writers were my heroes.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- No. I have a laptop and write anywhere, very often in hotels, at the beach, in the bush.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
You are your own boss, work when you like.
Worst: Can be lonely - you work on your own in your head most of every day.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- I am also an actor. I work on TV and in the theatre. I would do this full time.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- read - read - everything you can find. Try to read some good
writing everyday to practise hearing what good writing sounds
Try: Winnie-the-Pooh (original not edited)
Narnia series by C. S. Lewis