- Born 18 September 1940 in Petone and began dancing at aged 12.
- In 1958 aged 18 joined the New Zealand Ballet Company, which had only nine dancers at the time, one of them his future wife, Jacqui.
- Attended the Royal Ballet School in 1960-1961 and toured with the Sadler's Wells Ballet 1962-64.
- Danced with the Australian Ballet from 1965-66, and with the Royal Danish Ballet from 1968-1969.
- Danced with Margot Fonteyn and Rudolph Nuryev.
- Returned to New Zealand in 1970 to help revive the Royal New Zealand Ballet and became principal male dancer.
- Was awarded the MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) for his services to ballet in 1974.
- In 1981 was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship.
- Now dances character parts such as Captain Hook in Peter Pan.
- Was knighted in June 1999 for his services to ballet.
- 2002-03 performed with Helen Moulder in her play Meeting Karpovsky.
- Is still actively involved with the Royal New Zealand Ballet as it celebrates its 50th birthday in 2003.