New Zealand has a wide range of schools offering different approaches to teaching and learning. This page lists resources to help you find out more about them.
The Montessori method focuses on the individuality of each child in respect of their needs or talents, as opposed to the needs of the class as a whole. A goal is to help the child maintain their natural joy of learning.
- Montessori Association of New Zealand information about the teaching approach, links to Montessori schools around the country.
- Montessori find books about Montessori in our catalogue
- Find Montessori schools and preschools in Christchurch From out community information database CINCH
Rudolf Steiner or Waldorf Schools
New Zealand has 10 Rudolf Steiner Waldorf schools or school initiatives and more than 35 Waldorf kindergarten groups. Waldorf schools aim to
educate the whole child — head, heart, and hands — the underlying philosophy is based on the principle that education should support the development of the child in its physical, soul and spiritual growth towards a becoming a free and responsible adult.
- Federation of Rudolf Steiner Schools in New Zealand Information about Steiner education and directory of Steiner schools.
- Rudolf Steiner education Resources in our catalogue
- Rudolf Steiner Christchurch Details of Steiner organisations in Christchurch. From our community information database CINCH.
Discovery 1, Unlimited and Hagley Community College
Discovery 1 (Years 1 – 8) and Unlimited (Years 9 – 13) are state funded schools in Christchurch which offer individual, discovery based learning programmes. Hagley Community College is a Christchurch secondary school (Years 9 – 14) which offers a high degree of individual learning support and programmes for adult learners.
Seven Oaks School
New Zealand parents and caregivers can homeschool their children with approval from the Ministry of Education.
- Home schooling from the Ministry of Education
- National Council of Home Educators New Zealand
- Home schooling resources in our catalogue
- Home schooling organisations in Christchurch from our community information database CINCH
- Canterbury Home Educators
- Home Education Foundation
- Home Education New Zealand
- NZ Home Education
- Home Schooling NZ
- Homeschooling Downunder
- Auckland Home Educators
In addition to these teaching approaches, there are numerous schools around New Zealand that either have their own special character or teach according to their own values, while still meeting the New Zealand Curriculum standards.
The Ministry of Education offers a guide to Types of Schools on its website that offers information on the different types of education available in New Zealand.
Alternative Learning Resources
Our online resources
The Christchurch City Libraries’ website offers a comprehensive section on learning. As part of it, it offers parents information and links on starting school and how to choose the right school for their children.
Read our article on Learning Styles.
Recommended web resources
- Education links to educational institutions around New Zealand (from the libraries Internet Gateway)
- New Zealand Association of Private Education Providers
- Alternative education in New Zealand lists many schools and education providers.
- Independent Schools of New Zealand is an umbrella organisation for many independent schools in New Zealand.