Christchurch’s music scene
This article is a brief guide to Christchurch music. We recommend gig guides to help you find out when and where bands and singers are playing.
Search our catalogue
Music in Christchurch
Christchurch is a city with a strong tradition of live music and performance. Our music timeline uncovers Christchurch’s musical history.
Christchurch has its own symphony orchestra and a wide range of other classical music performers. For those who like to listen to music outdoors, there are raves, dance parties and popular outdoor concerts such as Classical Sparks.
The club and live music scene sees local and international acts performing at venues throughout the region.The launch of NZ Music Month at New Brighton Library.
How to find out about local gigs and events
- CHART Christchurch Music Industry Trust is an essential resource for music lovers and bands.
- Mukuna JAGG has a comprehensive Christchurch gig guide.
- Eventfinder has a section listing gigs and concerts in Christchurch and Canterbury.
- Useful local gig guides and music resources include the RDU Gig Guide and the big city.
- Be There is an online events calendar and it lists some musical events.
Venues, particularly in the central city and Lyttelton, were hard hit by earthquakes. Current venues include:
- CBS Canterbury Arena
- The CBS Canterbury Arena is the largest venue for performances. Eventfinder list of upcoming events.
- Aurora Centre for the Performing Arts
- Auditorium seating 700 and located in the grounds of Burnside High School. It is currently hosting events that would have otherwise been held in the Town Hall or Theatre Royal. Eventfinder list of upcoming events.
- The Bedford
- A long standing music venue which has relocated. Event guide.
- Dux Live
- The reinvented Dux de Lux restaurant and performance venue now located at 363 Lincoln Road. Gig guide.