New Titles Non-Fiction October 2015 (arrived in September 2015)
Art & Architecture
- 30,000 years of art : the story of human creativity across time & space., 709 THI
- Agnes Martin, Edited by Frances Morris and Tiffany Bell 759.13 MAR
- Canadian-born Agnes Martin was one of the pre-eminent painters of the second half of the 20th century, whose work has had a significant influence both on artists of her own time and for subsequent generations.
- Barbara Hepworth : sculpture for a modern world, Penelope Curtis and Chris Stephens 730.92 HEP
- Cecily Brown, Danilo Eccher 759.2 BRO
- New York-based British painter Cecily Brown (born 1969) makes sumptuous oil paintings combining abstract and figurative art.
- Chinese brush painting : traditional and contemporary techniques using ink and water soluble media, Cheng Y 751.425 YAN
- Everything is happening : journey into a painting, Michael Jacobs 759.6 JAC
- This visionary, meditative and often very funny book is a passionate, personal manifesto for the liberation of how we look at painting.
- Gothic wonder : art, artifice and the Decorated Style 1290-1350, Paul Binski 709.42 BIN
- Historic churches : a guide to over 60 early New Zealand churches, Linda Burgess ; photography Robert Burgess 726.5 BUR
- In pursuit of Venus, Lisa Reihana 709.93 REI
- In 1804, Joseph Dufour created Les Sauvages de la Mer Pacifique, a sophisticated 20-panel scenic wallpaper whose exotic subject matter referenced popular illustrations of the times and mirrored a widespread fascination with Captain Cook and de la Perouse Pacific voyages. Two hundred years later Lisa Reihana reanimates this popular wallpaper as a panoramic video spanning a width of 26 metres.
- Japanese woodblock print workshop : a modern guide to the ancient art of mokuhanga, April Vollmer 761.2 VOL
- Lives of the artists, lives of the architects, Hans Ulrich Obrist 709.2 OBR
- Object lessons : the visualisation of nineteenth-century life sciences, George Loudon with photography by Rosamond Purcel 709.034 LOU
- Paul Cezanne : drawings and watercolours, Christopher Lloyd 759.4 CEZ
- Rough style : architecture, interior, design, Sibylle Kramer 720 KRA
- Rubens in private : the master portrays his family, Ben van Beneden 759.9493 RUB
- Simon Denny : the personal effects of Kim Dotcom, Matthias Michalka 709.93 DEN
- The Personal Effects of Kim Dotcom is the first museum-scale solo exhibition in New Zealand by the New Zealand-born, Berlin-based artist Simon Denny.
- Superlux : smart light art, design & architecture for cities, Editor Davina Jackson 729.28 SUP
- The art of sumi-e : beautiful ink painting using Japanese brushwork, Naomi Okamoto 751.425 OKA
- The experience of modern sculpture : a guide to enjoying works of the past 100 years, Philip F. Palmedo 735.2 PAL
- The magic of watercolour flowers, Paul Riley 751.422 RIL
- The paintings that revolutionized art, 759 PAI
- The realism challenge : drawing and painting secrets from a modern master of hyperrealism, Mark Crilley 751.4 CRI
- Theaster Gates, Carol Becker, Lisa Yun Lee, Achim Borchardt-Hume 709.73 GAT
- The first monograph of Chicago-based Theaster Gates, one of the most exciting and highly regarded contemporary artists at work today.
- Wabi-sabi painting with cold wax : adding body, texture and transparency to your art, Serena Barton 751.4 BAR
- Alfa Romeo : all the cars, Lorenzo Ardizio ; illustrations, Michele Leonello 629.2222 ALF
- Car hackers 2014 : owners manual, Craig Smith 629.254 SMI
- Everyday modifications for your VW Bay Window van : how to make your classic van easier to live with and enjoy, Rob Hawkins 629.223 VOL
- From the rising sun to the long white cloud : the history of used car importing to New Zealand, Jackie Russell 388.34 RUS
- Hot Wheels variations, 2000-2013 : identification & price guide, Michael Zarnock 629.221 ZAR
- How to restore your farm tractor, Tharran E. Gaines 629.225 GAI
- The complete book of Ford Mustang : every model since 1964 1/2, Mike Mueller 629.2222 FOR
- A house in St John's Wood : in search of my parents, Matthew Spender 821.912 SPE
- A son's personal exploration of one of the most influential and troubled artistic couples of the twentieth century, Stephen Spender and Natasha Litvin.
- Amazing Grace : the man who was W.G., Richard Tomlinson 796.358 GRA
- When 'W.G.' became the first-ever batsman to score 100 first-class centuries, his nearest rival had only scored forty-three. A century after W.G. was buried with his secrets in a forlorn suburban graveyard, Amazing Grace gloriously unveils one of sport's greatest untold stories.
- Avenue of spies : a true story of terror, espionage, and one American family's heroic resistance in Nazi-occupied Paris, Alex Kershaw 940.5344 JAC
- Baby bumps : from party girl to proud mama, and all the messy milestones along the way, Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi 306.8743 POL
- The formerly reckless party girl of MTV's "The Jersey Shore" describes her bumpy and humorous transition to motherhood after an unplanned pregnancy put the brakes on her former lifestyle.
- Billie Holiday : the musician and the myth, John Szwed 781.65 HOL
- Bowie on Bowie : interviews and encounters with David Bowie, Sean Egan 781.66 BOW
- Curtly Ambrose : time to talk, With Richard Sydenham 796.358 AMB
- One of the leading and most lethal fast bowlers of all time, Curtly Ambrose played 98 Tests and 176 One Day Internationals for the West Indies, and for much of his career topped the ICC player rankings.
- Dave Grohl : times like his : Foo Fighters, Nirvana & other misadventures, Martin James 781.66 GRO
- Foo Fighters emerged from the morass of suicide and potent musical legacy that was Nirvana to establish themselves against all odds as one of the most popular rock bands in the world.
- Diane Foreman : in the arena, With Jenni McManus 338.04 FOR
- A candid portrait of one of New Zealand's most successful entrepreneurs, as well as a practical hands-on guide to what it takes to succeed in business.
- Driving hungry : a memoir, Layne Mosler 641.5 MOS
- A delicious memoir that takes us from Buenos Aires to New York to Berlin as the author, driven by wanderlust and an unrelenting appetite, finds purpose, passion, and unexpected flavor. Layne Mosler's search for her next meal based on a recommendation from a cab driver starts in Buenos Aires.
- Dylan : disc by disc, Jon Bream ; introductions to the albums and liner notes by Richie Unterberger 781.64 DYL
- Provides Dylan fans with a compelling, handsome, one-of-
a-kind retrospective on a music legend.
- Eddie : the rise and rise of Eddie McGuire : show business, politics & footy, Michael Bodey 791.45 MCG
- Every time a friend succeeds something inside me dies : the life of Gore Vidal, Jay Parini 818.54 VID
- An intimate yet frank biography of Gore Vidal, one of the most accomplished, visible and controversial American novelists and cultural figures of the past century.
- Everything is teeth, Evie Wyld, Joe Sumner 597.3 WYL
- An intimate and unique visual memoir by the multi-prizewinning Evie Wyld. She was a girl obsessed with sharks.
- First lady : from boyhood to womanhood : the incredible story of New Zealand's sex-change surgery pioneer, With Alison Mau 306.768 ROB
- Liz Roberts is a Kiwi pioneer; the first person to undergo a full surgical sex change in New Zealand. Her choices have made her enemies and admirers across the country, but few would doubt her strength and grace in tackling one of the most taboo life changes of all.
- Flying the knife edge : New Guinea bush pilot, Matt McLaughlin 629.13092 MCL
- After an untimely exit from the Royal New Zealand Air Force, Matt McLaughlin took a leap into the unknown, travelling to New Guinea to work as a missionary pilot. Matt lived on the knife edge of bush pilot ops in one of the world's most dangerous flying environments.
- Francis, Pope of good promise, Jimmy Burns 282.092 FRA
- From the moment Pope Francis stepped on to the balcony of St Peter's, people around the globe sensed that not only the Catholic Church, but the world at large, could be entering a new spiritual, political and social age.
- Genghis Khan : the man who conquered the world, Frank McLynn 950.2 GEN
- Good morning, Mr Mandela, Zelda La Grange 968.06 LA
- The story of Zelda la Grange's incredible friendship with Nelson Mandela.
- Here comes the sun, Jeremy Oxley & Mary Oxley Griffiths 781.66 OXL
- This moving and uplifting memoir is the unforgettable story of that remarkable journey from darkness to the light, and from the depths of despair to hope and love.
- How bizarre : Pauly Fuemana and the song that stormed the world, Simon Grigg 781.66 FUE
- I fought the law : the life and strange death of Bobby Fuller, Miriam Linna and Randall Fuller 781.66 FUL
- Bobby Fuller was the self-proclaimed Rock & Roll King of the Southwest. He wrote and recorded his own music, built his own studio, released his own records. He was left to die in his mother's car, beaten and doused with gasoline, on July 18, 1966. Now his brother tells the inside story for the first time ever.
- It's a long story : my life, Willie Nelson with David Ritz 781.642 NEL
- The iconic Country Music Hall of Fame artist and 10-time Grammy winner shares the story of his personal life and career, from his early ambitions and indelible relationships through his bankruptcy and founding of Farm Aid.
- It's all about him : finding the love of my life, Denise Jackson with Ellen Vaughn 781.642 JAC
- This inspirational book gives the reader an intimate look into one of country
music's most famous couples: their love story, struggles, dreams, success, the near-failure of their marriage, and the rediscovery of their faith and how that has reshaped their lives.
- Joy : poet, seeker, and the woman who captivated C. S. Lewis, Abigail Santamaria 811.54 DAV
- The first full biography of Joy Davidman, known primarily as C.S. Lewis's late-in-life bride, but who here receives her much deserved rescue from that shadow.
- Kris Kristofferson : country highwayman, Mary G. Hurd 781.642 KRI
- With a career in music and film that has spanned over forty years, Kristofferson began as a singer-
songwriter. In this book, Mary G. Hurd surveys the life and works of this highly respected American songwriter.
- Kurt Cobain : the last session, Jesse Frohman 781.66 COB
- Madonna, Michelle Morgan 781.66 MAD
- "Madonna" offers a one-of-a-kind look at the Queen of Pop's phenomenally successful career, just in time for the 30th anniversary of her first major tour, "The Virgin Tour."
- Maggie Smith : a biography, Michael Coveney 792.028 SMI
- No one does glamour, severity, girlish charm or tight-lipped witticism better than Dame Maggie Smith, one of Britain's best-loved actors.
- Me after you : a true story about love, loss and other disasters, Lucie Brownlee 306.88 BRO
- This book, inspired by her award-winning blog Wife After Death, is the story of her grief, and how she is (and isn't) coming to terms with her husband's death, and bringing up their daughter on her own.
- Model woman : Eileen Ford and the business of beauty, Robert Lacey 746.92 FOR
- Chronicles the Ford Modeling Agency's meteoric rise to the top of the fashion and beauty business, and paints a portrait of the uncompromising woman at its helm in all her glittering, tyrannical brilliance.
- Petals and bullets : Dorothy Morris, New Zealand Nurse in the Spanish Civil War, Mark Derby 946.081 MOR
- New Zealand nurse Dorothy Morris described her journey to a Republican medical unit of the Spanish Civil War in early 1937.
- Peter Montgomery : the voice of yachting, Bill Francis 797.14 MON
- With particularly emphasis on New Zealand's involvement in the America's Cup and the key figures involved — Michael Fay, Chris Dickson, Russell Coutts, Peter Blake, Grant Dalton and Dean Barker.
- Pride over pity, Kailyn Lowry with Adrienne Wenner 306.87432 LOW
- Kailyn Lowry, the feisty, tattooed beauty whose determination to raise her son on her own terms has been documented on MTV's hit series Teen Mom 2, opens up in this raw memoir about her painful past and offers an inspiring account of a young girl's resolve to survive and succeed.
- Psychedelic bubble gum : Boyce & Hart, the Monkees, and turning mayhem into miracles, Bobby Hart with Glenn Ballantyne 781.64 HAR
- Songwriter, singer, and producer Bobby Hart tells how he and Tommy Boyce created many top hit songs of the sixties and seventies, enabling The Monkees to outsell the Beatles and the Rolling Stones in 1967-68 and Boyce and Hart to become performers and recording artists.
- Public Enemy : inside the terrordome, Tim Grierson 781.66 PUB
- Since the group's early career in 1982, Public Enemy has been the most musically and politically radical
- Queen : the ultimate illustrated history of the crown kings of rock, Phil Sutcliffe with Peter Hince 781.66 QUE
- Ringo : with a little help, Michael Seth Starr 781.66 STA
- Traces the entire arc of Ringo Starr's remarkable life and career from his sickly childhood to his life as the world's
most famous drummer to his triumphs, addictions, and emotional battles following the breakup of The Beatles.
- Sarah Mathew : explorer, journalist and Auckland's 'First lady', Tessa Duder 993.02 MAT
- When 27-year-old Londoner Sarah Mathew sailed for Sydney in 1831, seeing her
married future in Australia, she had no idea that nine years later she would attend the founding of a new British colony a thousand miles to the east.
- Sick on you : the disastrous story of Britain's great lost punk band, Andrew Matheson 781.66 HOL
- The Hollywood Brats are the greatest band you've never heard of.
- So many roads : the life and times of the Grateful Dead, David Browne 781.66 GRA
- Song for Jenny : a mother's story of love and loss in the 7/7 London bombings, Julie Nicholson 155.937 NIC
- The Beatle who vanished, Jim Berkenstadt 781.66 NIC
- The Beatle Who Vanished is the first historical account of Jimmie Nicol, an unknown drummer whose journey from humble beginnings to saving The Beatles' first world tour was only one part of his legend.
- The complete Muhammad Ali, Ishmael Reed 796.83 ALI
- The last love song : a biography of Joan Didion, Tracy Daugherty 813.54 DID
- The mediator : a biography of Martti Ahtisaari, Katri Merikallio and Tapani Ruokanen 948.97 AHT
- Martti Ahtisaari is the world's most renowned and successful mediator in international conflicts. In 2008 he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his lead role in bringing independence to Namibia, Serbia's withdrawal from Kosovo, the decommissioning of weapons in Northern Ireland and autonomy for Aceh in Indonesia.
- The original guitar hero and the power of music : the legendary Lonnie Johnson : music and civil rights, Dean Alger 781.643 JOH
- Lonnie Johnson (1894-1970) was a virtuoso guitarist who influenced generations of musicians from Django Reinhardt to Eric Clapton to Bill Wyman and especially B. B. King.
- The Queen's speech : an intimate portrait of the Queen in her own words, Ingrid Seward 941.085 ELI
- On 9 September 2015, Queen Elizabeth II will become the longest-
serving monarch in British history.
- The rival queens : Catherine de' Medici, her daughter Marguerite de Valois, and the betrayal that ignited a kingdom, Nancy Goldstone 944.028 CAT
- The secret diaries of Miss Anne Lister : (1791-1840), Helena Whitbread 942.81 LIS
- The diary of a remarkable woman who lived life on her terms in Regency Yorkshire. Anne Lister was a wealthy landowner, industrialist and lesbian.
- The way we wore : a life in clothes, Daphne Selfe 746.92 SEL
- Daphne Selfe has modelled for Dolce and Gabbana, Red or Dead and high-street chains such as TK Maxx,
and regularly appears in newspaper fashion pages and glossy magazines. She is one of Britain's most in-demand supermodels and has worked non-stop for almost twenty years.
- The world at my feet : the extraordinary story of the record-breaking fastest run around the Earth, Tom Denniss 796.42 DEN
- On 31 December 2011, Australian Tom Denniss took two years off from his successful business career to take on a remarkable challenge. He embarked upon a run around the world. A run that would take more than 20 months, and cover over 26,000 km.
- Twin tracks : the autobiography, Roger Bannister 796.42 BAN
- On a late spring day in 1954, Roger Bannister became the first man to run a mile in under 4 minutes, inspiring a generation.
- Unbroken, Alex McKinnon, with David Riccio 796.3338 MCK
- Rugby League was Alex McKinnon's life. Born into a football family, from five years old Alex played junior football with the Aberdeen Tigers at McKinnon Oval, a ground named after his grandfather.
- Whitney & Bobbi Kristina : the deadly price of fame, Ian Halperin 781.64 HOU
- With just one suitcase, Cheryl Koenig 362.87 KOE
- This is a true story about two boys, Istvan and Frici, who live two kilometres but worlds apart in Romania. One is Catholic, one is Jewish; one grows up on a farm, the other in the affluent part of town. Life is routine and secure, the future seems predictable and each boy knows his place. Yet when the Second World War breaks out, the familiar world with its clear divisions disintegrates.
- Xerxes : a Persian life, Richard Stoneman 935 XER
- Xerxes, Great King of the Persian Empire from 486-465 B.C., has gone down in history as an angry tyrant full of insane ambition. What emerges is a nuanced portrait of a man who ruled a vast and multicultural empire which the Greek communities of the West saw as the antithesis of their own values.
- Young, brave and beautiful : the missions of Special Operations Executive Agent Lieutenant Violette Szabo : George Cross, Croix de Guerre avec Etoile de Bronze, Tania Szabo..
- SOE agent Violette Szabo was one of the most incredible women who operated behind enemy lines during the Second World War.
- Your band sucks : what I saw at indie rock's failed revolution (but can no longer hear), Jon Fine 781.66 FIN
- Jon Fine spent nearly thirty years performing and recording with bands that played various forms of aggressive and challenging underground rock music, and, as he writes in this memoir, at no point were any of those bands 'ever threatened, even distantly, by actual fame.
- You're never weird on the Internet (almost) : a memoir, Felicia Day 791.45028 DAY
- From the online entertainment pioneer, actress, and "queen of the geeks" Felicia Day,
comes a funny, quirky, and inspiring memoir about her unusual upbringing, her rise to internet stardom, and embracing her weirdness to find her place in the world.
Books about books
- The house of twenty thousand books, Sasha Abramsky 381.45002 ABR
- The House of Twenty Thousand Books is journalist Sasha Abramsky's elegy to the vanished intellectual world of his grandparents, Chimen and Miriam, and their vast library of socialist literature and Jewish history.
Business & Management
- Backstabbers and bullies : how to cope with the dark side of people at work, Adrian Furnham 658.409 FUR
- Collaborative intelligence : thinking with people who think differently, Dawna Markova, Angie McArthur 658.402 MAR
- Corporate governance matters : a closer look at organizational choices and their consequences, David Larcker, Brian Tayan 658.4 LAR
- Crowdsourcing : Airbnb, Kickstarter, Uber and the distributed economy., 658.872 CRO
- Do what you love : and other lies about success and happiness, Miya Tokumitsu 650.1 TOK
- Employment bites : the bite sized guide to delivering great HR, Angela Atkins 658.3 ATK
- Exponential organizations : why new organizations are ten times better, faster, and cheaper than yours (and what to do about it), Salim Ismail with Michael S. Malone and Yuri van Geest..
- Fitting in, standing out : finding your authentic voice at work, Harold Hillman 650.1 HIL
- From D for dummy to S for success, Myles Glew 650.1 GLE
- Getting things done : the art of stress-free productivity, David Allen 650.11 ALL
- How to pass graduate psychometric tests : essential preparation for numerical and verbal ability tests plus personality questionnaires, Mike Bryon 650 BRY
- Joy of business, Simone Milasas 650.1 MIL
- Lift : the fundamental state of leadership, Ryan W. Quinn and Robert E. Quinn 658.409 QUI
- Make mentoring work, Peter Wilson 658.3124 WIL
- Management bites : the bite sized guide to managing people, Angela Atkins 658 ATK
- Marketing that works : how entrepreneurial marketing can add sustainable value to any sized company, Leonard M. Lodish 658.8 LOD
- Mission : how the best in business break through, Michael Hayman and Nick Giles 658.11 HAY
- My new business : a busy woman's guide to start-up success, Wendy Kerr 658.022 KER
- Stronger : develop the resilience you need to succeed, George S. Everly, Jr., Douglas A. Strouse, Dennis K. McCormack 650.1 EVE
- Sustainable innovation : build your company's capacity to change the world, Andrew Hargadon 658.406 HAR
- The success formula : how smart leaders deliver outstanding value, Andrew Kakabads 658.409 KAK
- The Tao of coaching : boost your effectiveness at work by inspiring and developing those around you, Max Landsberg 658.3124 LAN
- Training bites : the bite sized guide to presentations, workshops and L&D, Angela Atkins 658.3124 ATK
- Apple Watch, Guy Hart-Davis 004.165 APP
- Step-by-step screen shots show you how to tackle more than 100 Apple Watch tasks. Each task-based spread covers a single technique, sure to help you get up and running on Apple Watch in no time.
- The Apple Watch book : master the most personal computer in your life, Scott McNulty 004.165 APP
- UML @ classroom : an introduction to object-oriented modeling, Martina Seidl 005.11 UML
- Windows 10 for seniors for dummies, Peter Weverka 005.446 MIC
Crafts & Collecting
- 30 slippers to knit and felt : fabulous projects you can make, wear and share, Arne & Carlos 746.432 NER
- Art in felt & stitch : creating beautiful works of art using fleece, fibres and threads, Moy Mackay 746.0463 MCK
- Boho crochet : 30 gloriously colourful projects inspired by traditional folk style, Editor Marinke Slump 746.434 BOH
- Clarice Cliff, Will Farmer 738.0942 CLI
- There are few pieces of pottery more recognisable than those designed by Clarice Cliff.
- Coin of the year : celebrating three decades of the best in coin design and craftsmanship, Donald Scarinci 737.4 SCA
- Die-cast car collecting 101 : bumper to bumper, Rick Mouzon 629.221 MOU
- Do it yourself : 50 projects by designers and artists, Thomas Barnthaler 745.5 BAR
- Dress your tech : 35 projects to customize your phone, laptop, tablet, camera, and more, Lucy Hopping 745.5 HOP
- Embroidery : a beginner's step-by-step guide to stitches and techniques, Charlotte Gerling 746.44 GER
- Graphic clay : ceramic surfaces and printed image transfer techniques, Jason Bige Burnett 738.14 BUR
- How to sew little felt animals : bears, rabbits, squirrels and other woodland creatures, Sue Quinn 746.0463 QUI
- Learn to crochet, love to crochet, Anna Wilkinson ; photography by Laura Edwards 746.434 WIL
- Little big stuff : pint-sized play sets to sew for kids, Michelle Lee Jensen 646.4 JEN
- Mollie makes papercraft : origami, scapbooking, cardmaking, stamping., 745.54 MOL
- Secret garden embroidery, Sophie Simpson 746.443 SIM
- The collector's cabinet : tales, facts & fictions from the world of antiques, Marc Allum 745.1 ALL
- Toys & prices : 35,000 toys, 100,000 values, Mark Bellomo 688.72 BEL
- Vintage jewellery : collecting and wearing twentieth-century designs, Caroline Cox 739.27 COX
- Vintage paua shell jewellery : art souvenir, tourist kitsch, Kiwi icon, Elly van de Wijdeven 739.27 WIJ
- Wool applique folk art : traditional projects inspired by 19th-century American life, Rebekah L. Smith 746.445 SMI
Crime & Espionage
- A is for arsenic : the poisons of Agatha Christie, Kathryn Harkup 615.9 HAR
- Investigates the poisons Christie employs in fourteen of her mysteries, discussing why the poisons kill, how they interact, obtainability of such poisons, and which cases may have inspired Christie's stories.
- Certain admissions : a beach, a body and a lifetime of secrets, Gideon Haigh 364.1523 HAI
- Who killed Beth Williams? On a warm evening in December 1949, two young people met by chance under the clocks at Melbourne's Flinders Street railway station and decided upon a spontaneous night on the town. The next morning, one of them, twenty-year-old typist Beth Williams, was found dead on Middle Park beach.
- Circle of treason : a CIA account of traitor Aldrich Ames and the men he betrayed, Sandra Grimes and Jeanne Vertefeuille 364.131 GRI
- Confessions of an undercover cop, Ash Cameron 363.2 CAM
- What is life like for a female Undercover Cop?
- In pursuit of the truth : a life in the Met, Clive Driscoll 363.25 DRI
- Former Detective Chief Inspector Clive Driscoll is most famous for being the man who finally secured convictions for the murder of Stephen Lawrence, a case previously mired by claims of institutional racism and corruption. For Clive, it was the pinnacle of a 35 year career with the world's most famous police force, the Metropolitan Police Service.
- Operation Greylord : the true story of an untrained undercover agent and America's biggest corruption bust, Terrence Hake with Wayne Klatt 364.132 HAK
- The boss of bosses : the life of the infamous Toto Riina, dreaded head of the Sicilian Mafia, Attilio Bolzoni and Giuseppe D'Avanzo 364.106 RII
- The killing kind, M. William Phelps 364.1523 PHE
- She was seventeen years old, a beautiful girl with a Hollywood smile and luminous brown eyes. Sprawled in a culvert just off the gravel road like an abandoned doll, she wore only toe socks, a sweatshirt, and a necklace. She was not the killer's first victim.
- The murders at White House Farm, Carol Ann Lee 364.1523 LEE
- The real Mary Kelly, Wynne Weston-Davies 364.1523 WES
- She was the final and most brutally murdered victim of Jack the Ripper, but almost nothing is known about her
family or her earlier life.
- Why did they do it?, Cheryl Critchleyand, Helen McGrath 364.1523 CRI
- The cases that stunned Australia.
- Beyond capitalism : building democratic alternatives for today and the future, Jeff Shantz and Jose Brendan Macdonald 330.12 BEY
- Boss life : surviving my own small business, Paul Downs 338.768 DOW
- China's disruptors : how Alibaba, Xiaomi, Tencent and other companies are changing the rules of business, Edward Tse 330.951 TSE
- Kill your mortgage and sort your retirement : the go to guide for getting ahead, Hannah McQueen 332.024 MCQ
- Live your life for half the price, Mary Hunt 332.024 HUN
- Take charge of your money now : the no.1 DIY financial freedom plan, Stephen Parr 332.024 PAR
- The business of family : how to stay rich for generations, Linda Davis Taylor 332.024 TAY
- The economics of inequality, Thomas Piketty 339.2 PIK
- The history of work, Richard Donkin 331 DON
- The misfit economy : lessons in creativity from pirates, hackers, gangsters, and other informal entrepreneurs, Alexa Clay, Kyra Maya Phillips 330 CLA
- The public wealth of nations : how management of public assets can boost or bust economic growth, Dag Detter and Stefan Folster 336 DET
- The richest man who ever lived : the life and times of Jacob Fugger, Greg Steinmetz 332 FUG
- The Renaissance banker who revolutionized the art of making money and established the radical idea of pursuing wealth for its own sake.
- Uninvested : how Wall Street hijacks your money and how to fight back, Bobby Monks with Justin Jaffe and Bree Lacasse 332.642 MON
- We do not fear anarchy, we invoke it : The First International and the origins of the anarchist movement, Robert Graham 335.8 GRA
- An intelligent person's guide to education, Tony Little 370.941 LIT
- Helping foster children in school : a guide for foster parents, social workers and teachers, John DeGarmo ; foreword by Harold Sloke 371.82 DEG
- Study smarter, not harder, Kevin Paul, MA 371.3028 PAU
- Take time : movement exercises to aid concentration, co-ordination, confidence and control, Mary Nash-Wortham and Jean Hunt 371.926 NAS
- What great teachers do differently : seventeen things that matter most : study guide, Beth Whitaker and Todd Whitaker 371.1 WHI
- Youth and inequality in education : global actions in youth work, Dana Fusco and Michael Heathfield 379.2 YOU
- The complete guide to high-end audio, Robert Harley 621.38933 HAR
- Chilled : how refrigeration changed the world, and might do so again, Tom Jackson 621.56 JAC
- Fiberglass & other composite materials : a guide to high performance non-metallic materials for race cars, street rods, body shops, boats, and aircraft, Forbes Aird 629.046
- Refrigeration : a history, Carroll Gantz 621.56 GAN
- Capitalism in the web of life : ecology and the accumulation of capital, Jason W. Moore 333.7 MOO
- Mining in ecologically sensitive landscapes, Mark Tibbett, editor 333.85 MIN
- Nature's fortune : how business and society thrive by investing in nature, Mark R. Tercek, Jonathan S. Adams 363.7 TER
- Time of useful consciousness : acting urgently on climate change, Ralph Chapman 363.7387 CHA
- While glaciers slept : being human in a time of climate change, M. Jackson 363.7387 JAC
- Organic hobby farming : a practical guide to earth-friendly farming in any space, Andy Tomolonis 631.584 TOM
- Pig tales : an omnivore's quest for sustainable meat, Barry Estabrook 636.4 EST
- The essential guide to hobby farming, Carol Ekarius with Leslie J. Wyatt 630.973 EKA
- The nature of crops : how we came to eat the plants we do, John M. Warren 633 WAR
- Woman-powered farm : manual for a self-sufficient lifestyle from homestead to field, Audrey Levatino 630 LEV
- Couture wedding gowns, Marie Bariller 392.5 BAR
- Face paint : the story of makeup, Lisa Eldridge 391.63 ELD
- Fashion lives : fashion icons with Fern Mallis., 746.92 MAL
- Fashion tribes : global street style, Photographs by Daniele Tamagni 391 TAM
- Oscar de la Renta : his legendary world of style, Andre Leon Talley 746.92 DE
- Simply glamorous : make-up transformations to make you look & feel fabulous, Gary Cockerill ; text by Zia Mattocks ; photography by Vikki Grant 646.72 COC
- Steampunk & cosplay : fashion design & illustration, Samantha R. Crossland 746.92 CRO
- The natural beauty solution : break free from commercial beauty products using simple recipes and natural ingredients, Mary Helen Leonard ; photography by Kimberly Davis 646.72 LEO
Film, Television & Theatre
- Diversity in Disney films : critical essays on race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality and disability, Johnson Cheu 791.433 DIV
- How to make great radio : techniques and tips for today's broadcasters and producers, David Lloyd 791.44 LLO
- Selfish, Kim 791.45028 KAR
- The selfie photography of Kim Kardashian, featuring many never-before-seen personal images from one of the most recognizable and iconic celebrities in the world.
- Sick in the head : conversations about life and comedy, Judd Apatow 792.7 APA
- The ballet lover's companion, Zoe Anderson 792.8 AND
- The encyclopedia of world ballet, Mary Ellen Snodgrass 792.8 SNO
- The improv book : improvisation for theatre, comedy, education and life, Alison Goldie 792.028 GOL
- We don't need roads : the making of the Back to the future trilogy, Caseen Gaines 791.437 GAI
Food & Wine
- 150 best gluten-free muffin recipes, Camilla V. Saulsbury 641.815 SAU
- 5pm panic, Volume two : 100+ quick and easy meals, Editor, Niki Bezzant 641.555 FIV
- A year of practiculture, Rohan Anderson 641.564 AND
- Rohan Anderson left his desk job in the city for the richer pleasures of living a simpler life on the land. Features 100
of Rohan's simple, rustic, seasonal recipes, as well as his observations, victories and failures, and the realities of living a practical life surrendered to the bounty (and hardships) of the land through the seasons.
- Big Gay Ice Cream : saucy stories & frozen treats : going all the way with ice cream, Bryan Petroff and Douglas Quint with Rebecca Flint Marx 641.862 PET
- Carbs by numbers : recipe options : 15g carbs or less per serve, Sandra Dunbar & Meg Pell 641.5638 DUN
- Chinatowns : Asian cooking from around the world in 100 recipes, Jean-Francois Mallet ; text, Emmanuelle Jary 641.595 MAL
- Dairy-free food for kids : more than 100 quick & easy recipes for lactose-intolerant children, Nicola Graimes 641.563 GRA
- DIY fermentation : over 100 step-by-step home fermentation recipes, Katherine Green 641.46 GRE
- DIY kombucha : 60 nourishing tonics for health & happiness, Katherine Green 641.877 GRE
- East : culinary adventures in Southeast Asia, Leanne Kitchen & Antony Suvalko 641.5959 KIT
- Easy mexican : a fusion of colour and flavour : the authentic taste of Mexico., 641.5972 EAS
- Easy weeknight meals : simple, healthy, delicious recipes, Nadia Lim 641.555 LIM
- Everyday super food, Jamie Olive 641.563 OLI
- Feasting with Bompas & Parr, Sam Bompas & Harry Par 641.568 BOM
- Food + beer : great food to eat with beer, Ross Dobson 641.5 DOB
- Gizzi's healthy appetite : food to nourish the body and feed the soul, Gizzi Erskine 641.5 ERS
- Gluten-free food for kids : more than 100 quick & easy recipes for coeliac children, Louise Blair 641.563 BLA
- Home baking, Jo Wheatley 641.815 WHE
- Maggie Beer's spring harvest recipes, Maggie Beer with photography by Mark Chew 641.564 BEE
- Meat & sweet, Dan & Steph Mulheron 641.5 MUL
- My family table : simple wholefood recipes from 'Petite Kitchen', Eleanor Ozich 641.563 OZI
- Nadia Lim's fresh start cookbook : over 100 delicious everyday recipes for lasting good health and weight loss., 641.563 LIM
- Never mind the sprouts : simple and easy recipes that all the family will enjoy… especially the fussy eaters, Alastair Williams & Claire Plimmer 641.5 WIL
- Nopi, Yotam Ottolenghi, Ramael Scully with Tara Wigley 641.5 OTT
- Includes over 120 of the most popular dishes from Yotam's innovative Soho-based restaurant.
- Our Korean kitchen : food is at its most delicious when shared, Jordan Bourke & Rejina Pyo ; photography by Tara Fisher 641.59519 BOU
- Paleo : the real food diet to reset your life, Elizabeth Marsh 641.563 MAR
- Planet cake love and friendship : celebration cakes for special celebrations, Paris Cutler ; photography by Chris Chen 641.8653 CUT
- Step-by-step desserts, Caroline Bretherton, Kristan Raines 641.86 BRE
- The caker : wholesome cakes, cookies & desserts, Jordan Rondel ; photography by Sally Greer 641.8653 RON
- The chef gets healthy, Tobie and Georgia Puttock ; photography by Sharyn Cairns 641.563 PUT
- The China Study quick & easy cookbook : cook once, eat all week with whole food, plant-based recipes, Del Sroufe. 641.5636 SRO
- The game chef : wild recipes from the great outdoors, Angelo Georgalli 641.691 GEO
- The healthy life, Jessica Sepel 641.563 SEP
- The Nordic diet : using local and organic food to promote a healthy lifestyle, Trina Hahnemann ; photographs by Lars Ranek 641.5635 HAH
- The Revive cafe cookbook. 5 : more delicious & easy recipes inspired by Auckland's healthy food haven, Jeremy Dixon 641.5636 DIX
- The rugby pantry : healthy measures & guilty pleasures, Daisy Dagg & Amber Vito ; photography by Tam West 641.5 DAG
- The spectacular and utterly true history of Tui, James Griffin 338.766 GRI
- Tui, the little beer that did. This is the story of 125 years of brewing, ever since a bloke by the name of Henry Wagstaff made the mental leap between having the best cuppa tea he'd ever tasted, made with water from the Mangatainoka River, to thinking he should start a brewery there, deep in the middle of nowhere.
- This could get messy : a guide to eating, to drinking, to doing both at the same time, James Wirth 641.5 WIR
- Well fed. 2 : more paleo recipes for people who love to eat, Melissa Joulwan 641.563 JOU
Gardens and Gardening
- 30:30 landscape architecture, Meaghan Kombol 712 KOM
- DIY garden projects : step-by-step activities for edible gardening and backyard fun, Mat Pember and Dillon Seitchik-Reardon 635 PEM
- DIY succulents : from placecards to wreaths, 35+ ideas for creative projects with succulents, Tawni Daigle 635.952 DAI
- Herbs : the secret properties of 150 plants, Kim Hurst 635.7 HUR
- Ivies : an illustrated guide to varieties, cultivation and care, with step-by-step instructions and over 150 inspiring photographs, Hazel Key; photography by Jonathan Buckley 635.93 IVI
- Lesson from great gardeners : forty gardening icons and what they teach us, Matthew Biggs 635 BIG
- Lunar & biodynamic gardening : planting your biodynamic garden by the phases of the moon, Matt Jackson 635.0484 JAC
- Making a garden : successful gardening by nature's rules, Carol Klein ; photography by Jonathan Buckley 635 KLE
- Six square metres : reflections from a small garden, Margaret Simons 635 SIM
- Terrariums : gardens under glass : designing, creating, and planting modern indoor gardens, Maria Colletti 635.98 COL
- The magical world of moss gardening, Annie Martin 635.936 MAR
- The permaculture city : regenerative design for urban, suburban, and town resilience, Toby Hemenway 631.58 HEM
- The winter garden : over 35 step-by-step projects for small spaces using foliage and flowers, berries and blooms, and herbs and produce, Emma Hardy 635.953
- Topiary : a practical guide to the art of clipping, training and shaping plants, Jenny Hendy 715.1 HEN
- For the sake of my daughter : from Aberdeen, Scotland to Nelson, New Zealand, Elisabeth Airey 929.2 SMI
- Information made beautiful : infographic design., 001.42 INF
Health & Medicine
- 7 steps to health ; and, The big diabetes lie, Max Sidorov 613 SID
- After cancer care : the definitive self-care guide to getting and staying well for patients after cancer, Gerald M. Lemole, Pallav K. Mehta, Dwight L. McKee 616.994
- After you hear it's cancer : a guide to navigating the difficult journey ahead, John Leifer with Lori Lindstrom Leifer 616.994 LEI
- Anxious : the modern mind in the age of anxiety, Joseph LeDoux 616.8522 LED
- Beat your irritable bowel syndrome in seven simple steps, Paul Jenner 616.342 JEN
- Blasted by seeds : one man's account of diagnosis and treatment for prostate cancer through low dose rate brachytherapy, Tom McGrath 616.994 MCG
- Dissolving illusions : disease, vaccines and the forgotten history, Suzanne Humphries, and Roman Bystrianyk 614.4 HUM
- Dr Dawn's guide to heart health, Dawn Harper 616.12 HAR
- Emergency : real stories from Australia's emergency department doctors, Simon Judkins 362.18 EME
- Essential oils for health : 100 amazing and unexpected uses for tea tree oil, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, lavender oil, and more, Kymberly Keniston-Pond 615.32
- Ettie Rout : New Zealand's safer sex pioneer, Jane Tolerton 613.95 ROU
- She gave New Zealand the best sexual health system when its army adopted her prophylactic kit and made every soldier going on leave take one — while she was banned from the pages of the newspapers so New Zealanders wouldn't find out.
- Get out of your mind & into your life : the new acceptance & commitment therapy, Steven C. Hayes with Spencer Smith 616.8914 HAY
- Having your baby through egg donation, Ellen Sarasohn Glazer and Evelina Weidman Sterling 618.178 GLA
- I can't lose weight and I don't know why, Sandra Cabot 613.25 CAB
- Managing ME/CFS : a guide for young people, Rosamund Vallings 616.0478 VAL
- Medical interview prep : your step-by-step personal mentor for the Auckland Mutliple Mini Interview, John Newland, Chen Luo, Jonathan Sheu and Kevin Howe 610.71
- Neuroslimming : let your brain change your body, Helena Popovic 613.25 POP
- Neurotribes : the legacy of autism and how to think smarter about people who think differently, Steve Silberman 616.8588 SIL
- Older adults and autism spectrum conditions : an introduction and guide, Wenn Lawson 616.8588 LAW
- Preventing cancer : the complete wellness guide to reducing the risks of cancer and helping recovery, Richard Beliveau & Denis Gingras 616.994 BEL
- Rewire your anxious brain : how to use the neuroscience of fear to end anxiety, panic, & worry, Catherine M. Pittman, Elizabeth M. Karle 616.8522 PIT
- Staying sharp : 9 keys for a youthful brain through modern science and ageless wisdom, Henry Emmons, David Alter 612.82 EMM
- Stoned : a doctor's case for medical marijuana, David Casarett 615.78 CAS
- The art and science of low carbohydrate performance: a revolutionary program to extend your physical and mental performance envelope, Jeff S. Volek, Stephen D. Phinney 613.28 VOL
- The biology of desire : why addiction is not a disease, Marc Lewis 616.86 LEW
- The compassionate mind approach to postnatal depression : [using compassion focused therapy to enhance mood, confidence and bonding], Michelle Cree 618.76
- The marvelous transformation : living well with autoimmune disease, Emily A. Filmore 616.978 FIL
- The microbiome solution : a radical new way to heal your body from the inside out, Robynne Chutkan 616.33 CHU
- The sociopath next door : the ruthless versus the rest of us, Martha Stout 616.8582 STO
- The author reveals in this book that a shocking 4 percent of ordinary people one in twenty-five has an often undetected mental disorder, the chief symptom of which is that that person possesses no conscience.
- Thriving with diabetes : learn how to take charge of your body to balance your sugars and improve your lifelong health, Paul Rosman and David Edelman 616.462
- Turning off breast cancer : a personalized approach to nutrition and detoxification in prevention and healing, Daniella Chace 616.994 CHA
- Your pregnancy nutrition guide : what to eat when you're pregnant, Henrietta Norton 618.24 NOR
History, Geography & Travel
- Aden insurgency : the savage war in Yemen, 1962-67, Jonathan Walker 953.3 WAL
- Afghan modern : the history of a global nation, Robert D. Crews 958.1 CRE
- Archipelago : a journey across Indonesia, Ian Burnet 959.8 BUR
- Between east and west : across the borderlands of Europe, Anne Applebaum 947 APP
- As Europe's borderlands emerged from Soviet rule, the author travelled from the Baltic to the Black Sea, through Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine and the Carpathian mountains.
- Blue sky highway : the East Cape of New Zealand, Gray Clapham 993.44 CLA
- Bosworth, 1485 : the battle that transformed England, Michael Jones 942.046 JON
- Circling the square : stories from the Egyptian Revolution, Wendell Steavenson 962.05 STE
- Classical civilization : Greeks and Romans in ten chapters, Nigel Spivey 938 SPI
- Coastlines of New Zealand, Photography by Rob Suisted ; text by Alison Dench 993 SUI
- Cricketing colonists : the Brittan brothers in early Canterbury, Geoffrey Rice & Frances Ryman 993.8 BRI
- Dead cert : stories from Thames, Paeroa and Waihi cemeteries, Meghan Hawkes ; photography by Mike Hawkes 993.32 HAW
- Dynasty : the rise and fall of the House of Caesar, Tom Holland 937.07 HOL
- Hidden city : adventures and explorations in Dublin, Karl Whitney 941.83 WHI
- In the steps of the Black Prince : the road to Poitiers, 1355-1356, Peter Hoskins 944.025 HOS
- Island of dreams : a personal history of a remarkable place, Dan Boothby 941.154 BOO
- Map : exploring the world., 912 MAP
- 300 stunning maps from all periods and from all around the world, exploring and revealing what maps tell us about history and
- Modern Albania : from dictatorship to democracy in Europe, Fred C. Abrahams 949.65 ABR
- Narrow dog to Carcassonne, Terry Darlington 944 DAR
- It was absurd. It was foolhardy. And it was glorious. When they retired, Terry Darlington and his somewhat saner wife Monica together with their dog, a whippet named Jim chucked their earthbound life and set out in an utterly unseaworthy sixty-foot canal narrowboat across the notoriously treacherous English Channel and down to the South of France.
- New York air : the view from above, George Steinmetz 974.71 STE
- Out of ashes : a new history of Europe in the twentieth century, Konrad H. Jarausch 940.5 JAR
- Paradise of the Pacific : approaching Hawai'i, Susanna Moore 996.9 MOO
- Remembering Christchurch : voices from decades past, Alison Parr with Rosemary Baird 993.83 PAR
- Renishaw Hall : the story of the Sitwells, Desmond Seward 942.514 SEW
- Desmond Seward also takes us on a tour through English history, to the house's restoration at the end of the twentieth century, and the return to its former glory as a jewel of British heritage, winning the coveted Historic Houses' Association Award for Garden of the Year in 2015.
- Safari : a memoir of a worldwide travel pioneer, Geoffrey Kent with Kristine Gasbarre 910.41 KEN
- Sailing with Cook : inside the private journal of James Burney RN, Suzanne Rickard 910.92 BUR
- Secret London : an unusual guide, Rachel Howard and Bill Nash ; photographs, Stephanie Rivoal and Jorge Monedero 942.1 HOW
- Stewart Island : Rakiura National Park, Neville Peat 993.962 PEA
- The Canterbury earthquakes : survival of a student, Nicholas Brookland 993.83 BRO
- Chronicles the lives of several Canterbury University students throughout their final year of study.This is only the beginning of a year of remarkable events on the road to graduation. A ramshackle band, a snowstorm, a spur-of-the-moment trip to Vietnam and various pranks bring much comic relief amidst the problems incurred when making discoveries in buildings destroyed by the earthquake, attending night classes, creating a short film, and dealing with petrol shortages and food thefts.
- The empire city : songs of Wellington, Andrew Laking ; with paintings by Bob Kerr 993.63 LAK
- The history of modern France : from the Revolution to the present day, Jonathan Fenby 944 FEN
- The origins of English surnames, Joslin Fiennes 929.4 FIE
- The porcelain thief : searching the Middle Kingdom for buried China, Huan Hsu 951.05 HSU
- The soul of the Outback, Mai Maddisson 994.29 MAD
- The Soul of the Outback explores Australia's outback, from Alice Springs to Darwin.
- The wisdom seeker : finding the seed of advantage in the Khmer Rouge, Pisey Leng as told to Jennifer Colford 959.604 LEN
- Pisey Leng miraculously survived the infamous killing fields of Cambodia that claimed the lives of nearly two million people in the late seventies. In the face of unspeakable horrors, a light shined in Pisey that kept her determined to survive-and she did.
- Travelling made easy : a step by step guide to holidays of a lifetime, Tarnya Hawkins 910.2 HAW
- UBD street directory Gregory's New South Wales., 912.944 UBD
- Underground in Berlin : a young woman's extraordinary tale of survival in the heart of Nazi Germany, Marie Jalowicz Simon 940.5318 SIM
- Willoughbyland : England's lost colony, Matthew Parker 988.3 PAR
- Women of the Irish Revolution, Liz Gillis 941.50821 GIL
- Wonderful things : a history of Egyptology. 1, From antiquity to 1881, Jason Thompson 932 THO
- Battlefields in miniature : making realistic and effective terrain for wargames, Paul Davies 793.92 DAV
- Deep relief wood carving : simple techniques for complex projects, Kevin Walker 736.4 WAL
- Machining for hobbyists : getting started, Karl H. Moltrecht with Fran J. Donegan 670.4 MOL
- Model aircraft aerodynamics, Martin Simons 629.1331 SIM
- Model planes : aerofoils and wings, Martyn Pressnell 629.1331 PRE
- Natural birdhouses, Amen & Maria Fisher 690.892 FIS
- Refurbish antique telephones for fun and hobby : step by step instructions to take an old telephone and return it to its original working order : no electronics or telephone knowledge needed, Ed Mitchell 621.386 MIT
- The ultimate guide to vintage Star Wars action figures 1977-1985, Mark Bellomo 688.72 BEL
House & Garden
- 150 best new kitchen ideas, Manel Gutierrez 747.79 GUT
- Colour : banish beige, boost colour, transform your home, Abigail Ahern ; photography by Graham Atkins-Hughes 747.94 AHE
- Feel at home : home staging secrets for a quick and easy sell, Tori Toth 643.12 TOT
- Interior design close up, Dominic Bradbury: photography by Richard Powers 747 BRA
- Simple & stylish backyard projects, Anna & Anders Jeppsson 690.89 JEP
- The complete guide to tile : ceramic, stone, porcelain, terra cotta, glass, mosaic, resilient., 693.3 COM
- The cartoon guide to algebra, Larry Gonick 512 GON
- Eureka : how invention happens, Gavin Weightman 600 WEI
- Places of invention : a companion to the exhibition at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History, Arthur P. Molella and Anna Karvellas 609.73
- The truth about Tesla : the myth of the lone genius in the history of innovation, Christopher Cooper 621.3092 TES
- Think like an engineer : inside the minds that are changing lives, Guru Madhavan 620 MAD
- London calling : Britain, the BBC World Service and the Cold War, Alban Webb 384.54 WEB
- On the snap : three decades of snapshots from the world of jazz, film & crime fiction, Brian Case 070.4 CAS
- The Trio : three war correspondents of World War Two, Richard Knott 070.449 KNO
- Whizzing all over the place : a foreign correspondent's memoir, David Barber 070.433 BAR
- David Barber is one of New Zealand's most travelled journalists. As busy as ever in retirement, he mourns the diminishing interest of newspapers in global affairs, and the consequent demise of old-style foreign correspondents.
- Jeremy Hutchinson's case histories, Thomas Gran 340.092 HUT
- LinkedIn for lawyers : connect, engage and grow your business, Kirsten Hodgson 340.028 HOD
- The guardians : the League of Nations and the crisis of empire, Susan Pedersen 341.22 PED
- The New Zealand Bill of Rights Act : a commentary, Andrew Butler, Petra Butler 342.085 BUT
- The quartet : orchestrating the second American Revolution, 1783-1789, Joseph J. Ellis 342.029 ELL
- The handheld library : mobile technology and the librarian, Thomas A. Peters and Lori Bell, editors 027.4 HAN
- The weeding handbook : a shelf-by-shelf guide, Rebecca Vnuk 025.21 VNU
- Follies of God : Tennessee Williams and the women of the fog, James Grissom 812.54 WIL
- For someone I love : a collection of writing, Arapera Blank 828.914 BLA
- Arapera Blank was one of New Zealand's first bilingual poets and the first Maori writer to win a Katherine Mansfield Award in 1959. This book contains a collection of poetry, fiction and essays.
- Little love letters : a heartful guide for written conversations with children, Melanie G Mason 808.6 MAS
- The fellowship : the literary lives of the Inklings : J.R.R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Owen Barfield, Charles Williams, Philip Zaleski and Carol Zaleski 820.9 ZAL
- Abbott's American watchmaker : an encyclopedia for the horologist, jeweler, gold and silversmith, Henry G. Abbott 681.11 ABB
- Watchmaking, George Daniels 681.114 DAN
- My cool scooter : an inspirational guide to stylish scooters, Chris Haddon ; photography by Lyndon McNeil 629.2275 HAD
Music & Musicians
- Dylan goes electric! : Newport, Seeger, Dylan, and the night that split the sixties, Elijah Wald 781.64 DYL
- John Lennon in conversation with Tony Taylor : previously unpublished interviews recorded in Wellington, June 1964 during the Beatles' tour of New Zealand : together with details of the only reported
study of Beatlemania and brief notes of a broadcast on, 781.66 LEN
- Living stereo : histories and cultures of multichannel sound, Paul Theberge, Kyle Devine, Tom Everrett 621.38933 THE
- New Order, Kevin Cummins 781.66 NEW
- Collected here are more than a hundred photographs reflecting more than a decade of New Order.
- Parsifal unveiled : the meaning of Richard Wagner's masterpiece, Samael Aun Weor 782.1 WAG
- Rockwiz decades : the great songs of our time, Toby Creswell 781.64 CRE
- Spirits rejoice! : jazz and American religion, Jason C. Bivins 781.1 BIV
- The last waltz : the Strauss dynasty and Vienna, John Suchet 780.92 STR
- We rock! : a fun family guide for exploring rock music history, Jason Hanley 781.66 HAN
- Dam builders : the natural history of beavers and their ponds, Michael Runtz 599.37 RUN
- Eagle, Janine Rogers 598.94 ROG
- Earth to sky : among Africa's elephants, a species in crisis, Michael Nichols 599.67 NIC
- Fastest things on wings : rescuing hummingbirds in Hollywood, Terry Masear 598.76 MAS
- Flamingo, Caitlin R. Kight 598.35 KIG
- In pursuit of butterflies : a fifty-year affair, Matthew Oates 595.78 OAT
- The Georgian menagerie : exotic animals in eighteenth-century London, Christopher Plumb 590.73 PLU
- The hand guide to the birds of New Zealand, Hugh Robertson and Barrie Heather ; illustrated by Derek Onley 598.0993 ROB
- The life of buzzards, Peter Dare 598.94 DAR
- 8 keys to raising the quirky child : [how to help a kid who doesn't quite fit in], Mark Bowers 649.15 BOW
- Games and activities for attaching with your child, Deborah D. Gray and Megan Clarke 649.5 GRA
- Girls uninterrupted : steps for building stronger girls in a challenging world, Tanith Carey 649.133 CAR
- How toddlers thrive : what parents can do today for children ages 2-5 to plant the seeds of lifelong success, Tovah P. Klein 305.232 KLE
- The journey of the heroic parent : your child's struggle & the road home, Brad M. Reedy 649.1 REE
- Your sleepless baby : the rescue guide, Rowena Bennett 649.122 BEN
- The elocutionist = O le tulafale : introduction to Samoan language and culture, Malotumau Alesana Eteuati Leiato 305.899462 LEI
Pets & Animals
- A dog's gift : the inspirational story of veterans and children healed by man's best friend, Bob Drury; photography by Joan Brad 636.7 DRU
- A dog's life : heart-warming stories of everyday New Zealand dogs, Craig Bullock 636.7 BUL
- Guinea pig, Dorothy Yamamoto 636.93 YAM
- Happy hens : all you need to know to keep your chooks healthy and content., 636.5 HAP
- Kiwi dogs & their people, David Darcy 636.7 DAR
- Talking with dogs and cats : joining the conversation to improve behavior and bond with your animals, Tim Link 636.0887 LIN
Philosophy & Psychology
- Women in philosophy : what needs to change?, Katrina Hutchison and Fiona Jenkins 190 WOM
- 4 real & true 2 : landscapes, photographs, Wim Wenders 779 WEN
- Wim Wenders' fame stems primarily from his motion pictures such as Paris, Texas, Wings of Desire, and Pina, yet the filmmaker admits: "Photography is the other half of my life."
- A long walk home, Eli Reed 779 REE
- Eli Reed: A Long Walk Home presents the first career retrospective of Reed's work. Consisting of over 250 images that span the full range of his subjects and his evolution as a photographer.
- Digital photography complete course, David Taylor 778.3 TAY
- Photo restoration : from snapshots to great shots, Robert Correll 006.68 COR
- Photography beyond auto : switch off auto mode and take better, more original photos, Chris Gatcum 771 GAT
- The iPhone photographer : how to take professional photographs with your iPhone, Michael Fagans 778.3 FAG
- The memory of time : contemporary photographs at the National Gallery of Art, Sarah Greenough 779 GRE
- English poetry and Old Norse myth : a history, Heather O'Donoghue 821.009 ODO
- Failed love poems, Joan Fleming 821.92 FLE
- NZ poetry.
- Mean time, Carol Ann Duffy 821.914 DUF
- English poetry.
- Miss Dust, Johanna Aitchison 821.914 AIT
- NZ poetry.
- Ocean and stone, Dinah Hawken 821.914 HAW
- NZ poetry.
- Poetry rocks, Judi Billcliff 372.6 BIL
- Seventeen original poems with engaging language and drama activities for the classroom. Guaranteed to build confidence while
- The Penguin book of Russian poetry, Robert Chandler, Boris Dralyuk and Irina Mashinski 891.7 PEN
- The perfect hour, Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen 869.142 AND
- Portuguese poetry.
Politics & Government
- Ally : my journey across the American-Israeli divide, Michael B. Oren 327.73 ORE
- New York Times bestselling author Michael B. Oren's memoir of his time as Israel's ambassador to the United States a period of transformative change for America and a time of violent upheaval throughout the Middle East provides a frank, fascinating look inside the special relationship between America and its closest ally in the region.
- Because we say so, Noam Chomsky 909.83 CHO
- Because We Say So presents more than thirty short, forceful commentaries written between 2011 and 2015 covering the most urgent matters in U.S. politics during global crisis.
- Eyes of fire : the last voyage of the Rainbow Warrior, David Robie ; preface by Bunny McDiarmid 327.12 ROB
- Thirtieth anniversary edition.
- God & Mrs Thatcher : the battle for Britain's soul, Eliza Filby 941.085 THA
- Mission accomplished? : the crisis of international intervention, Simon Jenkins 327.1 JEN
- The history of democracy : a Marxist interpretation, Brian S. Roper 321.8 ROP
- Kupapa : the bitter legacy of Maori alliances with the Crown, Ron Crosby 993.022 CRO
- The Relate guide to sex and intimacy, Cate Campbell 613.96 CAM
Religion & Ethics
- Becoming worldly saints : can you serve Jesus and still enjoy your life?, Michael Wittmer ; foreword by Trevin Wax 248.4 WIT
- Beyond physicalism : toward reconciliation of science and spirituality, Edward F. Kelly, Adam Crabtree, and Paul Marshall 215 BEY
- Forgiveness : 21 days to forgive everyone for everything, Iyanla Vanzant 179.9 VAN
- The ethical canary : science, society and the human spirit, Margaret Somerville 174.2 SOM
- The grammar of God : a journey into the words and worlds of the Bible, Aviya Kushner 220.4 KUS
- The gratitude diaries : how a year looking on the bright side transformed my life, Janice Kaplan 179.9 KAP
- With or without God : why the way we live is more important than what we believe, Gretta Vosper 270.8 VOS
- 100 under 100 : the race to save the world's rarest living things, Scott Leslie 578.68 LES
- A brief history of numbers, Leo Corry 513.5 COR
- Agates of New Zealand, Malcolm Luxton 553.87 LUX
- A book that includes an introduction to basic geology about how and where agates form, the many varieties of New Zealand agate, the principle agate-collecting areas in New Zealand, a photo gallery for each location, a rich visual archive of over 840 images.
- Algebra II for dummies, Mary Jane Sterling 512 STE
- Discovering the deep : a photographic atlas of the seafloor and ocean crust, Jeffrey A. Karson 551.46 KAR
- Evolution : the whole story, Editor, Steve Parker 576.8 EVO
- Light : a very short introduction, Ian A. Walmsley 535 WAL
- Making Nature : the history of a scientific journal, Melinda Baldwin 505 BAL
- Mind and cosmos : why the materialist neo-Darwinian conception of nature is almost certainly false, Thomas Nagel 523.1 NAG
- Plant behaviour and intelligence, Anthony Trewavas 571.2 TRE
- Stargazing basics : getting started in recreational astronomy, Paul E. Kinzer 520 KIN
- The matter factory : a history of the chemical laboratory, Peter J. T. Morris 542.1 MOR
- The origins of the British, Stephen Oppenheimer 305.8 OPP
- British prehistory will never look the same again. Stephen Oppenheimer's extraordinary scientific detective story combining genetics, linguistics, archaeology and historical record shatters the myths we have come to live by.
- The secrets of sand : a journey into the amazing microscopic world of sand, Dr. Gary Greenberg, Dr. Carol Kiely and Kate Clover 553.62 GRE
- The story of life in 25 fossils : tales of intrepid fossil hunters and the wonders of evolution, Donald R. Prothero 560 PRO
- The voyage of the Beagle : the illustrated edition of Charles Darwin's travel memoir and field journal, Charles Darwin 508.092 DAR
- Water, Veronica Strang 553.7 STR
- Water: Nature and Culture is a unique account of water history, and the ways humans have interacted with water over time.
- When life nearly died : the greatest mass extinction of all time, Michael J. Benton 576.84 BEN
- Why science is wrong : about almost everything, Alex Tsakiris 500 TSA
- Big magic : creative living beyond fear, Elizabeth Gilbert 153.35 GIL
- Do less, get more : how to work smart and live life your way, Shaa Wasmund 158.1 WAS
- Exercising influence : a guide for making things happen at work, at home, and in your community, B. Kim Barnes 153.85 BAR
- Irrationally yours : on missing socks, pick-up lines, and other existential puzzles, Dan Ariely with cartoons by William Haefeli 153.4 ARI
- New York Times bestselling author Dan Ariely teams up with legendary New Yorker cartoonist William Haefeli to present an expanded, illustrated anthology of his immensely popular Wall Street Journal advice column, "Ask Ariely."
- Love live forgive : insights from artists, Justin St. Vincent 153.35 LOV
- More human : designing a world where people come first, Steve Hilton with Scott Bade and Jason Bade 150.1 HIL
- Resilience : hard-won wisdom for living a better life, Eric Greitens 155.24 GRE
- The whisper : a spiritual guide to inner peace, Richie Clare 158.1 CLA
- Triumph of the heart : forgiveness in an unforgiving world, Megan Feldman Bettencourt 155.92 BET
- 100 things they don't want you to know : conspiracies, mysteries and unsolved crimes, Daniel Smith 001.9 SMI
- America's secret jihad : the hidden history of religious terrorism in the United States, Stuart Wexler 363.32 WEX
- Death by video game : tales of obsession from the virtual frontline, Simon Parkin 306.48 PAR
- How we live now : redefining home and family in the 21st century, Bella DePaulo 306.85 DEP
- Island journeys : the impacts of the island way of life at home and abroad, Carlisle Richardson 909.094 RIC
- Maids, wives, widows : exploring early modern women's lives 1540-1714, Sara Read 305.40942 REA
- No country for old maids? : talking about the 'man drought', Hannah August 306.815 AUG
- In 2013, there were over 66,000 more women between the ages of 25-49 living
in New Zealand than there were men.
- Not gay : sex between straight white men, Jane Ward 306.7 WAR
- Promoting health in Aotearoa New Zealand, Louise Signal and Mihi Ratima 362.1 PRO
- Primarily written for students, practitioners and policy makers in the health sector,
it will be of interest also to those promoting health in Maori, Pacific Island and other NGOs.
- The dark night of the shed : men, the mid-life crisis, spirituality & sheds, Nick Page 305.244 PAG
- The end of plenty : the race to feed a crowded world, Joel K. Bourne, Jr 363.8 BOU
- The future of (almost) everything : the global changes that will affect every business and all of our lives, Patrick Dixon 303.48 DIX
- The health gap : the challenge of an unequal world, Michael Marmot 306.461 MAR
- The knowledge wars, Peter Doherty 303.483 DOH
- Nobel prizewinner Peter Doherty makes a passionate case for citizens to become informed so they are able to evaluate the facts of any scientific debate. It provides practical advice on how to analyse research and take meaningful action.
- The nature of the future : dispatches from the socialstructed world, Marina Gorbis 303.4 GOR
- The pocket guide to scandals of the aristocracy, Andy K. Hughes ; illustrated by Bea Fox 305.52 HUG
- My life after death : a memoir from heaven, Erik Medhus with Elisa Medhus 133.9013 MED
Sport & Recreation
- After the final whistle : the first Rugby World Cup and the First World War, Stephen Cooper 796.3336 COO
- David Gower's 50 greatest cricketers of all time., 796.358 GOW
- Floodlights and touchlines : a history of spectator sport, Rob Steen 796.09 STE
- Living on the volcano, Michael Calvin 796.334 CAL
- Living on the Volcano charts the progress of more than 20 soccer managers, in different circumstances and in different phases of their career.
- Mountain rescue : epic tales of search and rescue in high-country New Zealand, Phillip Melchior 363.14 MEL
- On Richmond's wheel : a celebration of cycling, Tom Houff and Aynsley Miller Fisher 796.6 HOU
- Oval world : a global history of rugby, Tony Collins 796.333 COL
- Retro Rugby League, Ian Collis 796.3338 COL
- Rugby : a New Zealand history, Ron Palenski 796.333 PAL
- Rugby sevens : skills, tactics & rules, John McKittrick, Tony Williams & Eric Rush 796.333 MCK
- Science of swimming faster, Scott Riewald, Scott Rodeo, editors 797.21 SCI
- The art of centuries, Steve James 796.3582 JAM
- A century has always had a special resonance, in all walks of life, and none more so than in cricket.
- The art of checkmate, Georges Renaud and Victor Kahn 794.124 REN
- The complete guide to polo, Lauren Thorpe 796.353 DIB
- The history of chess in fifty moves, Bill Price 794.1 PRI
- The mammoth book of Everest : from the first attempts to today, 40 first-hand accounts, Jon E. Lewis 796.522 MAM
- The Rugby World Cup : the definitive photographic history, Brendan Gallagher 796.3336 GAL
- The Times beginner's guide to bridge, Andrew Robson 795.415 ROB
- Triathlon! : a tribute to the world's greatest triathletes, races and gear, Matthew Baird 796.425 BAI
Trains, Boats, Planes
- An Australian locomotive guide, Peter Clark 625.26 CLA
- Glider flying handbook, Federal Aviation Administration 629.13252 UNI
- For certifed glider pilots and students preparing for certification in the glider category.
- New Zealand railways : their life and times, Robin Bromby 385.0993 BRO
- Non-steam locomotives of New Zealand : petrol, diesel and electric power on the rail network 1923-2014, Philip Wrigley 625.26 WRI
- The world's greatest civil aircraft : an illustrated history, Paul E. Eden 629.13334 EDE
- Wooden boats : the art of loving and caring for wooden boats, Andreas af Malmborg ; photography by Ola Husberg 623.8207 MAL
- London Underground : 1863 onwards (all lines and extensions) : owner's workshop manual, Paul Moss 388.42 MOS
- The journey of Purdue Bros. Ltd in road transport, Sylvia Purdue 388.324 PUR
- History of a NZ transport business from Southland.
- A brief history of the Crimean War : the causes and consequences of a medieval conflict fought in a modern age, Alexis Troubetzkoy 947.07 TRO
- Among heroes : a U.S. Navy Seal's true story of friendship, heroism, and the ultimate sacrifice, Brandon Webb with John David Mann 359.98 WEB
- Nagasaki : life after nuclear war, Susan Southard 940.5482 SOU
- A gripping narrative of human resilience, Nagasaki will help shape public discussion and debate over one of the most controversial wartime acts in history.
- Special Forces in the War on Terror, Leigh Neville 958.1 NEV
- The scum of the earth : what happened to the real British heroes of Waterloo?, Colin Brown 940.27 BRO
- The Scum of the Earth explores the common soldiers the Duke of Wellington angrily condemned as 'scum' for their looting at Vitoria, from their great victory over Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 to their return home to a Regency Britain at war with itself.
- Waitangi witness : a history of the navy in the Bay of Islands, KF Wilson 359.00993 WIL
- An enlightening history of the Navy's involvement with Waitangi Day and the Government's interference, details of defensive mining operations in World War 2; the Navy's involvement in the Northern Wars; and much more.
- Warrior elite : Australia's special forces, Z force to the SAS intelligence operations to cyber warfare, Robert Macklin 356.167 MCK
- Climax at Gallipoli : the failure of the August offensive, Rhys Crawley 940.42 CRA
- Die in battle, do not despair : the Indians on Gallipoli, 1915, Peter Stanley 940.42 STA
- Facing the Front : New Zealand's enduring First World War, Gavin McLean 940.393 MCL
- Maiea te tupua : whanau accounts of Waikato-Maniapoto World War One veterans and one conscriptee : commemorating 100 years of World War One, Tom Roa and Maehe Paki 940.4 ROA
- Man of iron : the extraordinary story of New Zealand WWI hero Lieutenant-Colonel William Malone, Jock Venell 940.42 MAL
- Subterranean sappers : a history of 177 Tunnelling Company RE from 1915 to 1919, Iain McHenry 940.41 MCH
- Te Hokowhitu a Tu : the Maori Pioneer Battalion in the First World War, Christopher Pugsley 940.41 PUG