Find out about:
Buildings and facilities
Demolition of closed Linwood Library
The demolition of Linwood Library in Cranley Street began on Monday 22 September 2014. The demolition is being carried out by Scope Demolition Company, and is expected to take three weeks. The gardens and paving will remain and gravel will be laid on the rest of the site once it is empty.
A temporary Linwood Library and Service Centre continues to operate in Eastgate Mall.
Council Customer Service Desk at Hornby Library
Starting from 4 September 2014, a Christchurch City Council Customer Service Desk will be available at Hornby Library for all Council enquiries and payments. This service will be available on Thursdays and Fridays from 9am to 6pm.
The Source electronic resources access
Please note that library Non-city members can access all electronic resources except where specifically excluded by the terms of Christchurch City Libraries’ contractual agreements with those suppliers. For more information see our Membership policy.
Store is open and most Store items are now available.
- While libraries are closed, items in those collections are not available to be borrowed.
- Items which are unavailable should now have their status in catalogue records as
Currently inaccessible. The only exception to this is stock held at ‘LRS’. Unfortunately we are unable to change the status of this stock from
Currently inaccessible. In time this stock will become available once more.
- Holds may be placed on items held at closed libraries and will be delivered to you when the item becomes available. Your hold will not expire, but may not be delivered for some time.
- Please contact us if you have questions.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
- Christchurch City Libraries Photo Hunt Making Connections : Experience our past – present – future Tuesday 16 September 2014
- Library coming down but memories stick Beck Eleven. The Press. Saturday 6 September 2014
- Final chapter for central library The Press. Friday 15 August 2014
- Key decisions from Council Meeting of 31 July 2014 (Demolition of closed Linwood Library) Thursday 31 July 2014
- More than 2,400 ideas for new Central Library designers Tuesday 15 July 2014
- Over $6m to fix South library Lois Cairns. The Press. Tuesday 8 July 2014
- Work begins on new Halswell Library and Community Facility Monday 7 July 2014
- Papanui Library closes for upgrade Tuesday 24 June 2014
- Help design your dream library 21 March 2014
- Over 50,000 items at Christchurch City Libraries book sale 20 March 2014
- Manchester St Library opens Nicole Mathewson. The Press. Monday 20 January 2014
- Central Library Manchester opens Friday 17 January 2014
- Library clients turn to e-books Lois Cairns. The Press. Monday 13 January 2014