Find out about:
Buildings and facilities
Diamond Harbour Library is closed (Friday 31 October 2014)
The Diamond Harbour Hall and Library building has been closed for the weekend as a precaution after the potential release of asbestos fibres.
The building has been cordoned off. Users are being asked to avoid the building over the weekend, and to put off returning library items until its reopening.
The fire brigade was called to the site on Thursday 30 October after waterblasting to clean the building accidentally set off the fire alarm. While resetting the alarm, the fire brigade observed that the cladding is of a type that may contain asbestos, and that the waterblasting may have released asbestos fibres.
The Department of Labour was informed, and the building has been closed until it has been given the all-clear. All contractors involved in the cleaning and inspection are fully accredited. This is a precautionary approach, and it is expected the building’s safety will be confirmed in the next few days and that it will be reopened on Monday.
Council Customer Service Desk at Hornby Library
Starting from 4 September 2014, a Christchurch City Council Customer Service Desk will be available at Hornby Library for all Council enquiries and payments. This service will be available on Thursdays and Fridays from 9am to 6pm.
The Source electronic resources access
Please note that library Non-city members can access all electronic resources except where specifically excluded by the terms of Christchurch City Libraries’ contractual agreements with those suppliers. For more information see our Membership policy.
Store is open and most Store items are now available.
- While libraries are closed, items in those collections are not available to be borrowed.
- Items which are unavailable should now have their status in catalogue records as
Currently inaccessible. The only exception to this is stock held at ‘LRS’. Unfortunately we are unable to change the status of this stock from
Currently inaccessible. In time this stock will become available once more.
- Holds may be placed on items held at closed libraries and will be delivered to you when the item becomes available. Your hold will not expire, but may not be delivered for some time.
- Please contact us if you have questions.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
- Christchurch City Libraries Photo Hunt Making Connections : Experience our past – present – future Tuesday 16 September 2014
- Library coming down but memories stick Beck Eleven. The Press. Saturday 6 September 2014
- Final chapter for central library The Press. Friday 15 August 2014
- Key decisions from Council Meeting of 31 July 2014 (Demolition of closed Linwood Library) Thursday 31 July 2014
- More than 2,400 ideas for new Central Library designers Tuesday 15 July 2014
- Over $6m to fix South library Lois Cairns. The Press. Tuesday 8 July 2014
- Work begins on new Halswell Library and Community Facility Monday 7 July 2014
- Papanui Library closes for upgrade Tuesday 24 June 2014
- Help design your dream library 21 March 2014
- Over 50,000 items at Christchurch City Libraries book sale 20 March 2014
- Manchester St Library opens Nicole Mathewson. The Press. Monday 20 January 2014
- Central Library Manchester opens Friday 17 January 2014
- Library clients turn to e-books Lois Cairns. The Press. Monday 13 January 2014