Find out about:
Buildings and facilities
Demolition of closed Linwood Library
The Council approved the demolition of the closed Linwood Library in Cranley Street. The library is earthquake and fire-damaged. A working party, comprising elected members and Council staff, will be set up to consider long term options for the site. A temporary Linwood Library and Service Centre continues to operate in Eastgate Mall.
Papanui Library closure
Papanui Library is closed while a new air conditioning system is installed.
The library will be fully closed from Thursday 17 July – Thursday 28 August 2014.
The facility’s Customer Service Desk and Board Room will remain open throughout, offering wider Christchurch City Council services and a meeting space.
Papanui Library’s after hours return facility will be cleared daily throughout the closure, and items from Papanui Library can be returned to any library in the Christchurch City Libraries network. The nearest large library is Fendalton Library on the corner of Clyde Road and Jeffreys Road. Reserved items will be made available at Fendalton Library unless otherwise requested.
Papanui Library’s toilets and wifi will be unavailable throughout the entire period of the closure.
Read the full media release.
Linwood Library at Eastgate open on Sundays
Linwood Library at Eastgate is now open on Sundays from 10am to 4pm.
Central Library Manchester opened
Central Library Manchester opened on Monday 20 January 2014. It replaces Central Library Tuam.
- Central Library Peterborough
- Central Library Manchester
- Diamond Harbour
- Linwood at Eastgate
- Little River
- Mobile library
- New Brighton
- Upper Riccarton
The following Christchurch City Libraries are closed until further notice.
- The Central Library building is being demolished. A new Central Library will be built on the corner of Gloucester and Colombo Street on the edge of the Cathedral Square. Find out more on our Central Library page.
- Papanui Library is closed from Thursday 17 July to Thursday 28 August 2014 while a new air conditioning system is installed.
- Demolition began in January 2013. Find out more on our Sumner Library page.
The Source electronic resources access
Please note that library Non-city members can access all electronic resources except where specifically excluded by the terms of Christchurch City Libraries’ contractual agreements with those suppliers. For more information see our Membership policy.
Store is open and most Store items are now available.
- While libraries are closed, items in those collections are not available to be borrowed.
- Items which are unavailable should now have their status in catalogue records as
Currently inaccessible. The only exception to this is stock held at ‘LRS’. Unfortunately we are unable to change the status of this stock from
Currently inaccessible. In time this stock will become available once more.
- Holds may be placed on items held at closed libraries and will be delivered to you when the item becomes available. Your hold will not expire, but may not be delivered for some time.
- Please contact us if you have questions.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
- Key decisions from Council Meeting of 31 July 2014 (Demolition of closed Linwood Library) Thursday 31 July 2014
- More than 2,400 ideas for new Central Library designers Tuesday 15 July 2014
- Over $6m to fix South library Lois Cairns. The Press. Tuesday 8 July 2014
- Work begins on new Halswell Library and Community Facility Monday 7 July 2014
- Papanui Library closes for upgrade Tuesday 24 June 2014
- Help design your dream library 21 March 2014
- Over 50,000 items at Christchurch City Libraries book sale 20 March 2014
- Manchester St Library opens Nicole Mathewson. The Press. Monday 20 January 2014
- Central Library Manchester opens Friday 17 January 2014
- Library clients turn to e-books Lois Cairns. The Press. Monday 13 January 2014