Central Library Tuam closed
Central Library Tuam closed at 6pm on Friday 1 November 2013. It is being replaced by Central Library Manchester, scheduled to open late January 2014.
Temporary Bishopdale Library now open
Our new temporary Bishopdale Library opened Monday 7 October 2013. It is located in the former Westside Travel building, 17C Bishopdale Court.
Find out about:
Services and programmes
Catalogue & Databases outage on Show Day
There will be an outage of the catalogue from 2am to 12 noon on Friday 15th November, Show Day. As we use the catalogue to verify membership for access to most of the source, these resources will also be unavailable at that time.
Adobe Digital Editions security
OverDrive uses Adobe Digital Editions for rights management on its e-books. Users’ Adobe ID and passwords may have been compromised in recent attacks on the Adobe network. Adobe are resetting passwords and contacting affected customers - you can find out more from their website.
31 October 2013
New charges from 1 August 2013
Some of our charges are changing from Thursday 1 August 2013. Key changes include:
- Bestsellers will cost $5.20 to borrow, instead of $5.10.
- Replacement library cards for adults will cost $5.30, instead of $5.10.
Replacement library cards for youth and concession cards will cost $2.10, instead of $2.00.
- The processing fee charged in addition to the replacement charge for lost and damaged stock will increase to $15.30 from $10.20.
- An additional debt recovery fee of $23 will be added to any outstanding fines or charges if you are referred to a debt collection agency. This fee applies from 25 September 2013.
- Interlibrary loan charges have also increased.
- Go to our page on fees and charges.
- View the updated schedule of fees and charges.
Store is open and most Store items are now available.
- While libraries are closed, items in those collections are not available to be borrowed.
- Items which are unavailable should now have their status in catalogue records as
Currently inaccessible. The only exception to this is stock held at ‘LRS’. Unfortunately we are unable to change the status of this stock from
Currently inaccessible. In time this stock will become available once more.
- Holds may be placed on items held at closed libraries and will be delivered to you when the item becomes available. Your hold will not expire, but may not be delivered for some time.
- Please contact us if you have questions.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
Buildings and facilities
- Central Library Peterborough
- Central Library Manchester (opening late Jan 2014)
- Diamond Harbour
- Little River
- Linwood at Eastgate
- New Brighton
- Upper Riccarton
The following Christchurch City Libraries are closed until further notice.
The site of the Central Library in Gloucester Street has been acquired by the government for the new Christchurch Convention centre. The Central Library building will be demolished sometime in late October, 2013.
A new Central Library will be built on the corner of Gloucester and Colombo Street on the edge of the Cathedral Square.
Temporary library Central Library Peterborough is open.
Central Library Tuam closed on Friday 1 November 2013. It is being replaced by Central Library Manchester, scheduled to open late January 2014.
Significant damage to the library building. On Monday 29 October 2012, work began on removing stock and equipment.
On Friday 7 December 2012, the Christchurch City Council approved demolition of earthquake-damaged Sumner Library and South Brighton Community Centre. Read the information on the Christchurch City Council agenda and the media release.
Central Library Tuam closing on Friday 1 November 2013
Frequently Asked Questions
- I’ve heard that the Central Library Tuam, Rebuild Central and the Art Gallery shop are to close? Why?
- The buildings are on land designated for the new Christchurch Justice and Emergency Services Precinct which will be built on the block bounded by Durham, Tuam, Lichfield and Colombo Streets. Work on the precinct is due to start early next year and the site must be cleared by December 2013.
- What is the Justice and Emergency Services Precinct?
- As part of CERA’s Christchurch Central Recovery Plan the Justice and Emergency Services Precinct will house employees from the Ministry of Justice, New Zealand Police, Department of Corrections, New Zealand Fire Service, St John New Zealand and civil defence functions of the Department of Internal Affairs, Christchurch City Council and Environment Canterbury.
- What will replace Central Library Tuam?
- Central Library Tuam will close on 1 November 2013. A new temporary central city library will open in January at 36 Manchester Street (on the corner of Allen Street) in January.
- Will Central Library Manchester offer the same services as Central Library Tuam?
- The new temporary library at 36 Manchester Street is significantly smaller than the Tuam Street premises and therefore cannot accommodate as many loan items. However the shift provides an opportunity to consolidate the Aotearoa New Zealand collection in one location.
Central Library Manchester will offer:
- Aotearoa New Zealand Collection (including law and photos)
- Family History material (currently at Central Library Peterborough)
- Local Government material (currently at Central Library Peterborough)
- Pounamu Māori collection
- General fiction, bestsellers, nonfiction and biographies
- Large print and talking books
- DVDs and CDs
- Young adult section
- Magazines (80 titles in total)
- Newspapers (primarily New Zealand titles)
- Graphic novels from Central Library Tuam
- What will happen to books and other material that cannot fit into Central Library Manchester?
- The following items will shift to Central Library Peterborough:
- World languages
- Remaining CD collection
- Music scores
- Children’s collection
- What about the new Central Library?
- The Central City Recovery Plan includes a new central library fronting Cathedral Square and the Council will lead this project. Planning for the new library has begun and it is expected to open in 2016/17.
- Where can I find more information about the Justice and Emergency Services Precinct?
- Central Library Tuam closes Wednesday 30 October 2013
- Draft Voluntary Libraries strategy tabled Thursday 26 September 2013
- Replacement for Central Library Tuam Friday 6 September 2013
- $89m for central library ‘hub of knowledge’ Will Harvie. The Press. Saturday 24 August 2013
- Cost doesn’t match library vision Rachel Young and Lois Cairns. The Press. Wednesday 14 August 2013
- Debate over city library, sports hub Rachel Young and Lois Cairns. The Press. Tuesday 13 August 2013
- Plans for $89m central library Lois Cairns. The Press. Monday 12 August 2013
- New Halswell library and community facility a step closer Thursday 8 August 2013
- Plans underway for new temporary library at Bishopdale Thursday 8 August 2013
- Bishopdale Library and Community Centre to be repaired Thursday 13 June 2013
- Immerse yourself in Matariki at Christchurch City Libraries Tuesday 28 May 2013
- Free music downloads from Christchurch City Libraries Wednesday 1 May 2013
- New Linwood Library and Service Centre at Eastgate to open, Friday 26 April 2013
- Christchurch becomes a music-lover’s paradise, Tuesday 23 April 2013
- Linwood Mini Library to close, Monday 25 March 2013
- Feast for booklovers – Christchurch City Libraries’ annual book sale, Monday 18 March 2013
- Books change lives, Monday 4 March 2013
- Plans underway for new library and service centre at Linwood, Friday 15 February 2013
- Demolition of Sumner Library begins, Wednesday 9 January 2013