Catalogue and database outage on Easter Monday 21 April 2014
There will be a system outage on Easter Monday. There will be no access to our catalogue. All the Source databases including Press Display, Freegal, and OverDrive will be unavailable.
The outage is due to scheduled maintenance.
Services may be affected from 8am until 8pm on Monday 21 April 2014.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
Your library, your voice – New Central Library consultation
The city’s New Central Library (Ngā Kete Wānanga o Ōtautahi) will be built in Cathedral Square and the Christchurch City Council wants your input on the design. What exciting things do you want to do in our New Central Library? How should the building look and feel? The Your Library, Your Voice campaign runs from Friday 21 March to Friday 2 May 2014.
Roadworks effects on Central Library Peterborough access
Because of ongoing infrastructure work in the area access to Central Peterborough Library is as follows (from 18 March, 2014 until early May):
- from the East: use Peterborough Street
- from the West: use Peterborough Street
- from the South: use Montreal and turn right into Peterborough, or use Manchester or Madras and turn left into Peterborough
- from the North: use Durham and turn left into Peterborough, or use Manchester and turn right into Peterborough
Linwood Library at Eastgate open on Sundays
Linwood Library at Eastgate is now open on Sundays from 10am to 4pm.
Central Library Manchester opened
Central Library Manchester opened on Monday 20 January 2014. It replaces Central Library Tuam.
Find out about:
The Source electronic resources access
Please note that library Non-city members can access all electronic resources except where specifically excluded by the terms of Christchurch City Libraries’ contractual agreements with those suppliers. For more information see our Membership policy.
Store is open and most Store items are now available.
- While libraries are closed, items in those collections are not available to be borrowed.
- Items which are unavailable should now have their status in catalogue records as
Currently inaccessible. The only exception to this is stock held at ‘LRS’. Unfortunately we are unable to change the status of this stock from
Currently inaccessible. In time this stock will become available once more.
- Holds may be placed on items held at closed libraries and will be delivered to you when the item becomes available. Your hold will not expire, but may not be delivered for some time.
- Please contact us if you have questions.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
Buildings and facilities
- Central Library Peterborough
- Central Library Manchester
- Diamond Harbour
- Little River
- Linwood at Eastgate
- New Brighton
- Upper Riccarton
The following Christchurch City Libraries are closed until further notice.
The site of the Central Library in Gloucester Street has been acquired by the government for the new Christchurch Convention centre. The Central Library building is being demolished.
A new Central Library will be built on the corner of Gloucester and Colombo Street on the edge of the Cathedral Square.
Temporary library Central Library Peterborough is open.
Central Library Tuam closed on Friday 1 November 2013. It has been replaced by Central Library Manchester.
Significant damage to the library building. On Monday 29 October 2012, work began on removing stock and equipment.
On Friday 7 December 2012, the Christchurch City Council approved demolition of earthquake-damaged Sumner Library and South Brighton Community Centre. Read the information on the Christchurch City Council agenda and the media release.
- Help design your dream library 21 March 2014
- Over 50,000 items at Christchurch City Libraries book sale 20 March 2014
- Manchester St Library opens Nicole Mathewson. The Press. Monday 20 January 2014
- Central Library Manchester opens Friday 17 January 2014
- Library clients turn to e-books Lois Cairns. The Press. Monday 13 January 2014