- While libraries are closed items in those collections are not available to be borrowed.
- Holds placed on items held at closed libraries will be delivered to you when the item becomes available.
- Your hold will not expire, but may not be delivered for some time.
- Please contact us if you have questions.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
- Use the catalogue to find out what is available in our libraries.
- If you are not sure how to locate the item, please ask at one of our desks or our guide to the Dewey Classification System might help.
- If you need an item that we do not have, it may be possible to borrow it from another library or purchase it for our collection. Use our online form to request an item or phone us for more information.
- If an item is out, you can place a hold on it.
- You can place a hold on an item using a computer in a library or via the Internet. You may also phone in your hold, or ask a librarian at any of the desks to place it for you.
- A notice will be posted to you when the item becomes available or you can arrange to be contacted by email. You may also choose to use the Library Elf service to be notified of holds.
- For adult borrowers, a service charge is paid when you collect the item.
- The hold limit for all customers is 15 except for adult customers (e.g. Adult, Adult non-resident) who have a hold limit of 30.
- To place a hold yourself:
Borrow the item
Items are issued at either our member services desks or you can use the self issue machines.
- The maximum numbers of items that adult, youth, concession and corporate members may have on loan has increased to 30 items.
- We do not renew items, if you want to keep an item out for longer than 4 weeks there is a charge per item per day for up to a further 4 weeks.
- See below about overdue items.
|Item type||Loan period|
|Bestseller items, DVDs, Standards, Stories to Go bags||7 days|
|All other items e.g. Books, CDs, CD Roms, audiobooks||28 days|
Returning the item
- You may return your items to any library in the Christchurch City Libraries network, except the Mobile Library. Only items borrowed from the Mobile Library may be returned to it.
- All items are returned to the returns desk at community libraries.
- If you prefer to have your items discharged while you wait, please take them to a member of staff at a customer service desk.
- If your items are overdue you will be contacted by tele-message or email three days after your items were due and again by letter or email at eight days. You may also choose to use Library Elf or other third party services to be reminded before items become overdue.
- When any items are 31 days overdue, a block will be put on your library card and you will no longer be able to borrow until the items are returned or paid for.
- Once you have overdue fines on your card all debt must be paid within a month before you can use your card again.
- You may be referred to a debt collection agency if you owe $50 or more in fines or overdue items.