ANZAC Day in Christchurch and Canterbury
Thursday 25 April 2013 is ANZAC Day. Commemorative services often begin before dawn with a march by returned and service personnel to the local war memorial, where they are joined by other members of the community for the Dawn Service.
The following information is from the Christchurch City Council community events page.
You can also find ANZAC Day services on the RSA website.
Dawn service: 6:30am – Cranmer Square (Parade starts at 6:20am)
Organised by the Canterbury Branch of the Malayan Veterans’ Association in conjunction with the Christchurch Branch of the Royal New Zealand Returned and Services Association (RSA) and Christchurch City Council. Mayor Bob Parker will lay a wreath on behalf of the citizens of Christchurch.
Citizens’ Service: 10am – Christ’s College Chapel, Rolleston Avenue
Organised by the Christchurch City Council in conjunction with ChristChurch Cathedral and the RSA. The address at this service will be given by CDR A.M. Millar, MNZM Royal New Zealand Navy. It will be attended by representatives of the Defence Force, Consular Corps and various Christchurch youth groups.
Other services in Christchurch
- University of Canterbury Student’s Association Campus ANZAC Day Service for the students of UC and the community. University of Canterbury – Registry Quadrangle, University Drive. In the event of rain, the Service will be held in the Events Centre, 90 Ilam Road. 10.30am
- Halswell Domain, War Memorial 9:00am
- Heathcote, corner Martindale and BridlePath Roads 6:30am
- Hei Hei, War Memorial 9:00am
- Lyttelton RSA Service, meet corner London and Dublin Streets 9:45am
- New Brighton RSA Service, War Memorial Cenotaph 10:00am
- Papanui, RSA Clubrooms 10:00am
- Sumner, meet at Burgess Street 10:15am
- Akaroa RSA Service, War Memorial (Area School gymnasium if wet) 11:30am
- Cheviot RSA Service, meet at the War Memorial Cenotaph 10:30am
- Cust RSA Service, Community Centre 10:00am
- Darfield RSA Service, meet at Trinity Church 8:45am
- Diamond Harbour, meet at the community store 10:30am
- Dunsandel, War Memorial 8:30am
- Ellesmere RSA Service, Leeston Rugby Football Stadium 10:00am
- Hororata, St John’s Church 11:00am
- Kaiapoi RSA Service, Trouselot Park 10:00am
- Lincoln, Event Centre 2:00pm
- Little River, Community Hall 9:30am
- Paparua, RSA War Memorial 10:30am
- Prebbleton, War Memorial 9:00am
- Rakaia, The Mead Memorial Gates 9:00am
- Rakaia, Memorial Community Centre 10:30am
- Rangiora, RSA War Memorial Cenotaph 11:15am
- Rolleston, New Community Hall 11:00am
- Sheffield, War Memorial 8:00am
- Springfield, Tawera Memorial Hall 11:00am
- Springston, meet at Springston School 10:20am
- Tai Tapu, War Memorial 9:00am
- Wigram, Air Force Museum Noon
Other ANZAC events
There will be a commemoration on Sunday 21 April at the Linwood Cemetery, 31 Butterfield Avenue, Linwood, Christchurch.
Champion band, Woolston Brass once again pays tribute to the Anzacs with their popular ANZAC Remembered concert. This year the programme has a naval theme along with the traditional sing–along and retreat ceremony.