Heritage

The operating room, Strathmore Hospital, Ferry Road, Christchurch

The operating room, Strathmore Hospital, Ferry Road, Christchurch

The operating room, Strathmore Hospital, Ferry Road, Christchurch
[1895]

This hospital of thirty rooms was designed by S. Hurst Seager (1854-1933) and built in the early 1890s for Dr Joseph Henry Townend (1848-1902) by Mrs J. Cochrane-Brown. Mainly for surgical cases and accommodating forty patients, it was a pioneer in aseptic surgery, having a glass-lined operating theatre. It remained a private hospital until 1918 when it became a Girls' Receiving Home run by the Education Department. It ceased this role about 1980 and was demolished in the late 1990s. See The Press, 29 Oct. 1895, p. 3.

View more information

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 13, IMG0052

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo