Name: Margaret Beames
Date of birth: 18 October 1935
Place of birth: Oxford, England
Now living in: Feilding
- What is your favourite food?
- Crusty home-made bread with cheese. Also chocolate and NZ oranges.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Being auctioned as a "slave" at a student Rag Week and only fetching 1/6 (about 50c).
- How do you relax?
- By reading, anything not too 'heavy'.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- No one person in particular.
- What were you like at school?
- Quiet. I hated putting my hand up to answer questions. I made some good friends I still keep in touch with.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite was English (and History).
Most hated Needlework (and Biology).
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- So many it is hard to choose but probably The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Graham, and The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Author : Anne Tyler
Children’s author: Margaret Mahy
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I have always loved books and it just seemed natural to start writing my own. I did not plan to be a writer. It just happened.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- I have a study with a desk and a computer where I can work undisturbed. (Lots of books around me, also a radio and cassette player.)
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- The best thing is getting so wrapped up in your story you forget everything else. The worst is 'writer’s block' when you just can’t write a word!
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A teacher.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Write something every day. Read as much as possible. Look, listen, observe.
- Read a short story by Margaret Beames
- Read some books written by Margaret Beames
- More information about Margaret Beames