Name: Pamela Allen
Date of birth: 3 April 1934
Place of birth: Devonport, Auckland
Now living in: Auckland
- What is your favourite food?
- I love stewed tamarillos (tree tomatoes when I was little).
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Can’t tell you - it’s too embarrassing.
- How do you relax?
- Sleep. I love it.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- I can’t remember being inspired. I don’t think we used the word.
- What were you like at school?
- I think I was very ordinary.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- I was good at "drawring".
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- I remember crying over Peter Rabbit (by Beatrix Potter).
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- My great grandfather. He was left an orphan as a little boy and through his own efforts ended up owning a printing business.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Margaret Mahy.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I thought I could be an illustrator then I discovered I could write - I was a writer because I found I could do it.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Yes. I have a separate building now in the bush - I call it "my space."
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
worst thing is that you can feel very alone.
The best thing is you can make children laugh.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- I wanted to be a potter (in the 1950’s in NZ).
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- If you want to be a writer - Read. Read until you recognize a good book. Then don’t give up too easily.