- Born 13 January 1976, in Christchurch. Full name Briolette Kahbic Runga
- One of a family of musicians - her mother was a singer, her sister Boh fronts the band Stellar*, and another sister Pearl sings.
- First began playing drums aged 11, and guitar aged 14.
- Grew up in Hornby and went to school in Christchurch (Cashmere High School).
- Entered the SmokefreeRockquest with Kelly Horgan and placed third, earning a recording contract with Pagan records.
- Left Christchurch aged 18 for Auckland, and played gigs in cafes there.
- Put together a demo tape for Sony Records.
- Wrote all the songs on her debut album Drive, including Sway, Swim, and Sorry. Released Drive in 1997 in New Zealand, and worldwide in 1998.
- Won seven major awards in the 1998 New Zealand Music Awards.
- Spent 1998 and part of 1999 touring worldwide, returning to New Zealand in 1999.
- Toured New Zealand in 2000 with Tim Finn and Dave Dobbyn.
- Late 1999 began recording her second album, moving between studios in New Zealand and the USA. Produced the album herself, as well as playing guitar, piano and drums, taking three years to do it.
- 2002 released second solo album Beautiful Collision. At the 2003 New Zealand Music awards she received Tuis for highest selling NZ album, best female vocal, and best solo artist.
- 2005 released album Birds.
- 2007 announced she was expecting a child.