Heritage

Chicory kilns on Jones Road, Templeton

Chicory kilns on Jones Road, Templeton

Chicory kilns on Jones Road, Templeton
[ca. 1892]

James Jones (1835-1922) was originally a sawyer at Peel Forest. In April 1863 he moved to Templeton and bought 60 acres fronting on to the Main South Road. He built a sod house there and sowed a crop of wheat. He also opened a butcher's shop in the township, later relinquishing this to operate two chicory kilns on his property for working on chicory grown by Edwin William Trent (1839-1883). He later leased Trent's kilns. He also ground and blended coffee. One of the lads in the photograph is his son David Jones (1874-1941) who later became Minister of Agriculture and Mines in 1931-1932

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 10, IMG0034

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo