Heritage

The interior of the Roman Catholic Pro-Cathedral

The interior of the Roman Catholic Pro-Cathedral

The interior of the Roman Catholic Pro-Cathedral
[189-?]

"The Church of the Blessed Sacrament was a large building on the site of the present Cathedral. The land had been granted by the Canterbury Provincial Council on condition that a building was erected on it. The original portion of the church, designed by Mr B.W. Mountfort, Provincial Architect, and built by Father J.B. Chataigner, had been opened in 1864. During the 1870's it had been enlarged to accommodate a growing Catholic population". It was removed to Ferry Road in 1900 -- The jubilee year : Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, p. [6]

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 10, IMG0058

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo