Heritage

Deutsche Kirche (the German Church), corner of Montreal and Worcester Streets, Christchurch

Deutsche Kirche (the German Church), corner of Montreal and Worcester Streets, Christchurch

Deutsche Kirche (the German Church), corner of Montreal and Worcester Streets, Christchurch
[1898]

By 1870 a number of German and Scandinavian settlers had arrived in Canterbury, and more were to follow in 1872 on board the ship Friedelbrug. The German Benefit Association, formed in 1871, was keen to provide a church in which services could be conducted in the German language. As a result of an appeal £550 was secured by subscription, and, as it was anticipated that many more German settlers would soon arrive in Canterbury, the Provincial Government also voted a grant of £250. On 29 April 1872 the real estate firm of A.E. Alport negotiated the purchase of the corner site for £230. The Architect J.S.M. Jacobsen was approached and quickly drew up plans for a wooden church that would hold 230 people. Tenders were soon called to erect the church and that of £725 by the builder John Greig was accepted. It existed from 1872 until 1933, when it was demolished to make way for a new building.
The wedding party of Wilhelmina Arnst and John Christian Aschen is pictured outside the church. The Paster, Theodore Albert Meyer, can be seen third from the right with his wife and daughter

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL-KPCD12-IMG0033

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo