Heritage

YMCA, corner of Cambridge Terrace and Hereford Street, Christchurch

YMCA, corner of Cambridge Terrace and Hereford Street, Christchurch

YMCA, corner of Cambridge Terrace and Hereford Street, Christchurch
[192-?]

The smaller YMCA building on the far left, in Cambridge Terrace, was designed by Thomas Stoddart Lambert (d. 1915) and built in 1884. The other, larger YMCA building on the corner was built in 1908-1909, designed by William Paxton Clarkson (1863-1917) and Robert Anderson Ballantyne. The YMCA vacated the buildings at the beginning of 1967 and moved to a new site on the corner of Hereford Street and Rolleston Avenue. The old buildings were demolished Sept.- Nov. 1967 to make way for a new central police station.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0009

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo