Heritage

Papanui Hotel, junction of the Papanui, Main North and Harewood Roads, Christchurch

Papanui Hotel, junction of the Papanui, Main North and Harewood Roads, Christchurch

Papanui Hotel, junction of the Papanui, Main North and Harewood Roads, Christchurch
[1867]

This building was originally built early in the 1850s for the Reverend Reginald Robert Bradley (1825-1892), the first resident clergyman in Papanui. It had dormer windows on the upper storey and a long verandah. It was soon sold to William Meddings (1819-1867), a local blacksmith, who opened it as a hotel and was the licensee until 1865 when it was sold to William Lawrence (1831-1876). This is a photograph of a wood engraving. See The Papanui story : special historical issue, p. 1.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0037

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo