Heritage

Wheatsheaf Hotel, corner of Shands and Selwyn Roads, Broadfield, south of Hornby

Wheatsheaf Hotel, corner of Shands and Selwyn Roads, Broadfield, south of Hornby

Wheatsheaf Hotel, corner of Shands and Selwyn Roads, Broadfield, south of Hornby
[ca. 1970]

In 1865 John Shand (1805-1874) went into partnership with Herbert Coupe, obtained a publican's licence and built the Wheatsheaf Hotel on a 20-acre site. The business was leased to Stephen Lawrence (1826-1915) in Apr. 1867. While coaches used Shands Track on their way to Leeston the business prospered, but trade slowed when social activities shifted to Lincoln. The licensing authorities decided to cancel the licence at the Wheatsheaf in 1897. Since then the building has been a private residence. See The Press, 28 Apr. 1977, p. 17.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0055

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo