Heritage

Gilberthorpe cottage

Gilberthorpe cottage

Gilberthorpe cottage
[189-?]

Charles Gilberthorpe (1828-1915) and his wife Ann, née Rogers (1833-1921), came to New Zealand from Nottinghamshire on the Mary Anne, arriving in Lyttelton on 14 Aug. 1859. In May 1861 he was granted 21 acres of land at a cost of £42 on what is now Gilberthorpes Road and erected the cottage soon after. When they died their younger daughter Annie lived there until her death in 1941. The house was later used by the Presbyterians, mainly for a Sunday school.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 18, IMG0026

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo