Shand’s Emporium

cover imageThe architectural heritage of Christchurch. 2

Published by the Town Planning Division, Christchurch City Council, 1982.

Shand’s Emporium stands at 88 Hereford Street, a small, unpretentious wooden building sandwiched between the Royal Insurance building and the former New Zealand Trust and Loan Company building (1866). Built in 1860 on land owned by farmer John Shand, the building housed professional offices until its conversion to shops in 1977, when it was named Shand’s Emporium.

Heritage New Zealand rates Shand’s Emporium as a building of historical interest. It is one of the oldest commercial buildings in the Christchurch central business area and one of the few surviving buildings from the early period of colonisation.


  • John Shand - the original land owner
  • The construction of Shand’s Emporium
  • The building
  • Harry Johnstone - the original occupier
  • William H. Wynn Williams - Johnstone’s partner-in-law
  • Shand’s Emporium today
  • Shand’s in Hereford Street c1880 - 1993

Download Shands Emporium [2MB PDF]

Related information

Get Adobe Reader