Storylines: Children’s Literature Foundation of New Zealand Notable New Zealand Books 2007
Christchurch City Libraries lists literary prize winners and links to catalogue searches, but we may not hold copies of all titles mentioned.
The list of Notable Books was established in 1999 to reflect the wide-ranging achievements of New Zealand authors and illustrators. It appears in February each year. The CLFNZ Notable Books list allows for the inclusion of picture books with offshore illustrators as well as anthologies.
Ten books in four categories have been selected, from the more than 150 books published during 2006.
- Share Said the Rooster
- Pamela Allen
- A Present from the Past
- Jennifer Beck, illustrated by Lindy Fisher
- Riding the Waves: Four Māori Myths
- Gavin Bishop [Also available in Te Re Whakaeke i ngā Ngaru: e Whā Tino Pūrākau translated by Kāterina Te Heikōkō Mataira]
- Greedy Cat and the Sneeze
- Joy Cowley, illustrated by Robyn Belton
- Kate De Goldi, illustrated by Jacqui Colley
- Itiiti’s Gift
- Melanie Drewery, illustrated by Fifi Colston
- The Three Fishing Brothers Gruff
- Ben Galbraith
- Robyn Kahukiwa [Also available in Te Re Matatuhi translated by Kiwa Hammond]
- Kiss! Kiss! Yuck! Yuck!
- Kyle Mewburn, illustrated by Ali Teo & John O'Reilly
- Barnaby Bennett
- Hannah Rainforth, illustrated by Ali Teo
The judging panel would like to make special mention of Down the Back of the Chair by Margaret Mahy, illustrated by Polly Dunbar (Frances Lincoln). Margaret’s poem has been in print in a poetry collection for many years and therefore not eligible for inclusion in the list. However, the panel considers Down the Back of the Chair to be a treasure for New Zealand children.
- And Did Those Feet…
- Ted Dawe
- Vince Ford
- Ocean Without End: Book One of the Swashbuckler Trilogy
- Kelly Gardiner
- Frog Whistle Mine
- Des Hunt
- Thor’s Tale: Endurance and Adventure in the Southern Ocean
- Janice Marriott
- The Unquiet
- Carolyn McCurdie
- Mind Over Matter
- Heather McQuillan
- Old Bones
- Bill Nagelkerke
- Castaway: the Diary of Samuel Abraham Clark, Disappointment Island, 1907
- Bill O’Brien