- Fashion, Costume, and Culture: Clothing, Headwear, Body Decorations, and Footwear through the Ages.
- Provides a broad overview of costume traditions of diverse cultures from prehistoric times to the present day. Examines more than 430 items of human decoration and adornment, ranging from togas to turbans, necklaces to tennis shoes. Explores how and why items were created, the people who made them, and their uses. This set shows how clothing, headwear, body decorations, and footwear reflect the different cultural, religious, and societal beliefs. Ed. Sara Pendergast and Tom Pendergast. Detroit: U*X*L, 2004.
From The Gale Virtual Reference Library.
Access this with your library card number and PIN, or at our libraries.
- Costume and Textile Association of New Zealand
- The Costume and Textile Association of New Zealand was established in 2002 as a national organisation to provide a forum for the study, research and conservation of costume and textiles.
- Costume Gallery
- Covers the history of the fashion, costume and textile industries
- Costume Institute
- At the Metropolitan Museum, New York
- Costume Society of America
- The Costume Society of America advances the global understanding of all aspects of dress and appearance.
- Costume Society of Great Britain
- United Kingdom based society which supports the study of costumes through the ages.
- Designing Britain 1945 - 1975
- A visual experience of post-war Britain.
- Elizabethan Costume Page
- A site dedicated to the research and reproduction of Elizabethan costume and its contemporaries. Includes digitised primary sources and extant garments as well as patterns, links to reproductions and related information such as dyeing.
- Fashion Era
- Women's costume and fashion history for the 19th and 20th centuries and analyses the mood of an era right up to the current styles.
- Fashion Museum
- Historical and contemporary British fashion collections including 18th, 19th and 20th century dress.
- Fashion, Jewellery and Accessories
- Victoria and Albert Museum collection covers fashionable dress from the 17th century to the present day, with the emphasis on progressive and influential designs from the major fashion centres of Europe.
- Fashion-era contains 537 content rich, illustrated pages of Fashion History, Costume History, Clothing, Fashions and Social History
- Kyoto Costume Institute
- Collection of western clothing through the centuries.
- La Couturiere Parisienne
- History of costumes, from medieval era through to the Second World War, includes patterns, construction techniques, textile design, ethnic costumes.
- LACMA Costume & Textiles Department
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- The Realm of Venus
- A site about the clothing and accessories of the men and women of late Renaissance Italy, with a focus on sixteenth century Venice.
- Textile Museum Washington
- V&A Fashion
- Articles and collection pages from the Victoria and Albert Museum including reading lists.
- V&A Textiles
- Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A) collection which covers textiles from a period of over 2000 years, including woven, printed and embroidered textiles, and lace, with an emphasis on Europe and Near East fabrics.