Heritage

Cathedral Square from the Cathedral tower, showing the Post Office built in 1879

Cathedral Square from the Cathedral tower, showing the Post Office built in 1879

Cathedral Square from the Cathedral tower, showing the Post Office built in 1879
[ca. 1882]
Burton Bros.
The building in the foreground was designed by the colonial architect, William Henry Clayton (1823-1877). The foundation stone was laid in 1877 and the building was opened in 1879. It originally housed the Post Office plus the Government Life Insurance and the Customs, Immigration, Public Works and Inspector of Telegraph Departments. It also contained New Zealand’s first telephone exchange which was installed 1 October 1881. The Post Office department had full use of the building after the Government Buildings were opened in 1913. Pictured on the left is the New Zealand Insurance Company building built in 1870 and designed by Charles Edward Fooks (1829-1907). See: Round the Square, p 62

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL-KPCD1-IMG0015

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo