Heritage

The warehouse of Messrs Fletcher, Humphreys & Company, Cathedral Square, Christchurch

The warehouse of Messrs Fletcher, Humphreys & Company, Cathedral Square, Christchurch

The warehouse of Messrs Fletcher, Humphreys & Company, Cathedral Square, Christchurch
[ca. 1885]

In 1882 George Humphreys (1848-1934) established Fletcher, Humphreys & Co. at the Cathedral Square end of Chancery Lane. The firm engaged noted architect F.W. Petre and he designed a three-storey building with an Oamaru stone facade which was erected in 1886. The company operated from from the site for more than 70 years, importing wines, spirits, tea and sugar and general merchandise. The building was sold to AMP in Nov. 1962 and in 1971 was demolished to make way for the new AMP building.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL-KPCD12-IMG0066

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo