Heritage

Boys' High School, Worcester Street, Christchurch

Boys' High School, Worcester Street, Christchurch

Boys' High School, Worcester Street, Christchurch
[ca. 1885]

Christchurch Boys' High School was established by Canterbury College Board of Governors in 1880. The building was designed by W.B. Armson (1834-1883) and built between Mar. 1879 and 1881, opening on 18 May of that year with a roll of 82. The cost was £8,889. It was extended in 1891 at a cost of £1,065, 1896, £1,896, and 1913. Boys' High's last function in the building was on 18 Dec. 1925 and they moved to their new site in Straven Road, opening there on 2 Feb. 1926. The porphyry columns at the entrance were taken for the new school in 1925. Canterbury College then used the building themselves until their move to Ilam, when it became part of the Arts Centre of Christchurch.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL-KPCD12-IMG0075

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo