Heritage

The opening of the Roman Catholic church at Mount Magdala, near Halswell

The opening of the Roman Catholic church at Mount Magdala, near Halswell

The opening of the Roman Catholic church at Mount Magdala, near Halswell
[1912]

Designed and built by Luttrell Brothers between 1910 and 1912, the chapel is their largest ecclesiastical building in New Zealand and is Alfred Luttrell's most elaborate and individual interpretation of the perpendicular Gothic style. The walls are in bluestone with Oamaru stone dressings, the roof is carried on hammerbeam trusses of cedar, doors and fititngs are also cedar, and the sanctuary floor is marble. Fortythree stained glass windows, made by Zetter & Co. of Munich, were installed in 1926. A west end porch was added around 1968. The chapel was originally part of the Mount Magdala institute run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd. In 1966 the complex was purchased by the Brothers of St. John of God.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 15, IMG0079

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo