Heritage

Christchurch Girls' High School, Armagh Street, Christchurch

Christchurch Girls' High School, Armagh Street, Christchurch

Christchurch Girls' High School, Armagh Street, Christchurch
[192-?]

Christchurch Girls' High School was established by Canterbury College Board of Governors and opened on 13 Sept. 1877. It originally occupied a building on the corner of Hereford Street and Rolleston Avenue. In July 1878 W.B. Armson (1834-1883) submitted sketch plans for a new building in Cranmer Square. In May 1880 the firm of Greig and Hunter put in a successful tender for £4,567/8/9. In Sept. 1881 the new building was opened. Extensions were made along Armagh Street in 1907, 1938 and 1958, and along Montreal Street in 1913 and 1962. Girls' High moved to a new site in Deans Avenue, Riccarton, in mid 1986, with the official opening on 10 Nov. 1986. The Cranmer Square building was bought by the Arts Centre in July 2001. The first building in Hereford Street became the School of Art until it moved to Ilam in 1957. It was then used as an extension to the University Library until the whole University moved to Ilam, when it became part of the Arts Centre of Christchurch.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0017

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo