- A Dictionary of English Place-Names
- Published by Oxford University Press, 1998.
Electronic Resource from Oxford Reference Online.
Access this with your library card number and PIN, or at our libraries.
- AUSLIG gazetteer Place Name Search
- Search the Gazetteer of Australia contains over 310 000 geographic names in Australia provided by members of the Committee for Geographic Names in Australasia.
- The CIA World Factbook
- Data for over 250 countries. For each country, quick facts are provided on topics including a map and flag, geography, population, government, economic, communication, transportation, and military.
- The Columbia Gazetteer of North America
- Published in 2000. From Bartleby.com
- Country Profiles
- Each country profile provides facts and data on geography, climate, people, religion, language, history and economy. From Atlapedia Online
- Country Studies
- About 100 country profiles Prepared by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress US. Note some studies haven't been updated in several years, so use your judgment about what may have changed.
- Find Names
- Tools and sources for finding the correct names for places in New Zealand and their locations.
- Geographic Names Information System
- Retrieve maps and data on any geographic feature in the U.S.
- GEOnet Names Server (GNS)
- The GEOnet Names Server (GNS) provides access to the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency's (NGA) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names' (US BGN) database of foreign geographic feature names. The database is the official repository of foreign place-name decisions approved by the US BGN.
- Getty thesaurus of geographic names
- Structured vocabulary containing more than one million names and other information about places. Includes all continents and nations of the modern political world, as well as historical places, plus physical features and administrative entities, such as cities and nations
- How far is it?
- Calculate distances between larger cities worldwide.
- New Zealand Gazetteer: Search for Place Names
- The New Zealand Gazetteer of Place Names holds all official names for geographic places and features within the jurisdiction of the New Zealand Geographic Board Nga Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (NZGB). The New Zealand Gazetteer also has other types of unofficial names, such as recorded collected and replaced names.