Libraries 2025 Facilities Plan [2.2 Mb PDF]
The Libraries 2025 Facilities Plan was developed over an 18 month period from February 2007. The planning and development occurred with considerable community, key stake holder and elected member input.
The plan looks to meet Christchurch’s changing geographic and demographic needs during the next 20 years with a review every six years to look at actual growth and revised projections to ensure the location and timing of facilities reflect changes in forecasted growth.
Under the plan it is proposed to build new libraries at Aranui and Belfast, replace the library at Halswell, explore development options for Central Library and generally look to maximise partnerships and co-location opportunities to enhance the service.
Each project in the 2025 Plan will be considered as a separate business case as part of the Long Term Council Community Process (LTCCP) process with Council looking to ensure it continues to provide the community with a world class libraries network.
Libraries are recognised as contributing significantly to the social, cultural and economic well-being of the community, Christchurch having a proud history of investing in this network.
Through the plan Council has made a commitment to ensuring its libraries network remains customer-driven, provides value-for-money and offers a technically advanced service for its ratepayers and residents.
Also included in the plan
- A review of the location of Bishopdale Library within the retail precinct
- At Shirley, Council will look to optimise partnership opportunities to redevelop and upgrade the facility
- An evaluation of the future role of Redwood Library following the opening of a new library at Belfast
- Exploring partnership opportunities to develop Hornby Library in line with the Urban Development Strategy and South West Area Plan
- Continuation of the Mobile Library service to fill network gaps in the areas where a library building is not sustainable, as well as ongoing evaluation of efficiency and effectiveness
- Introduction of a seven-day service and possible inclusion of a café at Fendalton Library
- Review of service provision to all Banks Peninsula libraries that will include scoping future needs and producing an action plan for ongoing enhancement of services to these communities
- Develop a plan for Voluntary Libraries within the 2025 framework that will maximize the community use of these facilities
- Issue 9, November 2008
- Issue 8, August 2008
- Issue 7, May 2008
- Issue 6, March 27 2008
- Issue 5, March 2008
- Issue 4, December 2007
- Issue 3, November 2007
- Issue 2, October 2007
- Issue 1, August 2007
- Council adopts Draft Libraries 2025 Facilities Plan, 27 March 2008
- Libraries 2025 Facilities Plan under development, 30 August 2007
Public comment was sought on the Draft Plan until Sunday 8 June 2008.