- March 15
- Christchurch Club formed.
- March 27
- First wool cargo shipped to London from Lyttelton (via Auckland).
- July 31
- By Royal Charter, Christchurch becomes New Zealand’s first city.
- March 6
- Riccarton race course established.
- (no date)
- Riccarton House built.
- Information for this resource was based on the second edition of John Densem’s Christchurch chronology: a history of settlement. Environmental Policy and Planning Policy Unit, Christchurch City Council, 1990.
More about the Christchurch Chronology.
- This resource includes links to various other local history resources on our websites and images from our photographs collection - clicking on the image will take you to a larger version of that image.