Heritage

Christchurch - a chronology

1864

February 8
George Parr’s "All England" cricket team defeats a Canterbury side.
February 10
First Council artesian well drilled at the corner of Tuam and High Streets. It gushed to a height of 3 or 4 metres above ground level.
March 17
Arthur’s Pass crossed by Arthur (later Sir Arthur) Dudley Dobson. He became the Christchurch City Surveyor in 1901.
March 21
New Zealand’s first hansom cab arrives in City.
April 18
First Ferrymead (swing) bridge opens.
April 25
Canterbury Horticultural and Acclimatisation Society formed. This group introduced many animals, birds and fish to Canterbury, and helped to establish the Government Gardens, which eventually became the Botanic Gardens.
June 4
Serious fire in Colombo Street destroys buildings between Hereford and Cashel Streets.
August
City Council’s "Committee on Swans" decides to import black swans to try and control the watercress in the Avon. The swans, duly introduced, departed almost at once for distant lagoons and marshes.
September 16
Opening of second Town Hall, built of stone next to the first hall in High Street.
September 28
Re-built Victoria Bridge opens. It is probably the country’s first iron and stone bridge.
October 7
Opening of a 12 night season of Lyster’s Royal Italian and English Opera Company. The opera was "Lucia di Lammermoor".
December 16
Foundation stone laid for Christchurch Cathedral. The weather was atrocious.
December 24
First gas street lights.
December 25
Durham Street Methodist Church opens - the City’s first stone church.
December
Census population of Christchurch City (excluding Lyttelton) 6,438.

Previous Year Next Year

Notes