Sir Hamish Hay 1927 - 2008
Former Christchurch mayor Sir Hamish Grenfell Hay died on 7 September 2008, aged 80.
A city councillor from 1959, Sir Hamish became Christchurch’s mayor in 1974 and won five terms in office before stepping down in 1989.
He was knighted in 1982, and also served as a regional councillor for Christchurch North from 1995 to 2001.
After his death in 2008, Christchurch City Council set up a condolence book in the foyer of the civic offices for members of the public to sign.
Sir Kerry Burke, then Chairman of Environment Canterbury commented in a press release:
Hamish had a great eye for detail, often spotting inconsistencies in reports that had escaped both staff and other colleagues. But he also had the experience that enabled him to get the big picture, understanding the need for pragmatism in policy formation, that reasonableness was superior to even fine theories.
Sir Hamish Hay remembered
- Christchurch remembers Sir Hamish Hay
- Christchurch City Council press release.
- Former Chch mayor Sir Hamish Hay dies
- An article on Stuff.co.nz via NZPA.
- Sir Hamish farewelled
- The Press article included a timeline of events in his life.
- Sir Hamish led city with dignity
- Obituary in The Press.
Search our catalogue
More information about Sir Hamish Hay
- Sir Hamish Grenfell Hay 1927 - 2008
- A photo of Hamish Hay in his mayoral regalia.
- Hay’s Ltd
- Information on the famous retail outlet started by Hamish Hay’s father James.
- Hay’s Parade
- Photographs of the famous parade.
- Hamish Hay Bridge commemorative plaues
- Information from the Christchurch City Council about the plaques on the bridge in Victoria Square.
- H. G. Hay commorative plaque
- Information from the Christchurch City Council about the plaque at Friendship Corner.
- Articles about Sir Hamish Hay
- Search our Papers index for articles about Hamish Hay.