Heritage

Original Christchurch Hospital, Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch

Original Christchurch Hospital, Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch

Original Christchurch Hospital, Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch
[1862]

In 1861 the Provincial Government voted £1,500 for the building of a hospital in Christchurch. "The first building was a barn-like, two-storied erection, situated near the site of the present Nurses' old Home" (p. 31). It opened on 1 June 1862 with Dr Burrell Parkerson as surgeon and Dr Silas Stedman as physician at salaries of £300 a year each. The last of these buildings was demolished in 1917

View more information

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 13, IMG0033

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo