Heritage

Nurses' Memorial Chapel, Christchurch Hospital, Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch

Nurses' Memorial Chapel, Christchurch Hospital, Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch

Nurses' Memorial Chapel, Christchurch Hospital, Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch
[ca. 1930]

The chapel was built in memory of three nurses from Christchurch Hospital who died when the troopship Marquette was torpedoed in 1915 during World War One (1914-1918); also to two nurses who died in the influenza epidemic of 1918. It is the only war memorial in New Zealand dedicated solely to the memory of women. It was designed by J.G. Collins (1886-1973) who practised with Collins & Harman from 1903 to 1955. He supervised the construction free of charge. The chapel is typical of Arts and Crafts Movement churches. Here the splendid timber of the interior and the stained glass windows are shown. The first service was held on Christmas Day 1927. This photography was taken shortly after the building was completed

View more information

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 13, IMG0036

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo