Heritage

Hawkesbury, St Albans

Hawkesbury, St Albans

Hawkesbury, St Albans
[1905]

Designed by Samuel Farr (1827-1918) for politician, businessman and philanthropist John Thomas Peacock (1827-1905), Hawkesbury was built in 1863. Its driveway was opposite the present Merivale Post Office and ran for about 140m before reaching the house. The property occupied land from Papanui Road to Mansfield Avenue and St Albans Lane and four gardeners were employed to look after the extensive gardens. There was an archery ground, a bowling green, tennis court and swimming pool. The house was demolished in 1920 when the grounds were subdivided

View more information

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 16, IMG0015

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo