Heritage

Llanmaes, corner of Hereford and Montreal Streets, Christchurch

Llanmaes, corner of Hereford and Montreal Streets, Christchurch

Llanmaes, corner of Hereford and Montreal Streets, Christchurch
[ca. 1920]

Llanmaes, Welsh for 'the church in the meadow' was designed by Dunedin architect Francis William Petre (1847-1918) and built for a merchant, John Lewis. In 1899 Llanmaes was bought by a doctor, Colin Graeme Campbell. The next owner, 1904-1911, was Dr Charles Chilton (1860-1929), who sold it to a widow, Eliza Vincent. On her death in 1926 her family sold the property to Canterbury College who enlarged and extended the house. From 1926 to 1929 it was the rector's residence. In 1929 it became the headquarters of the Canterbury College Students' Union. The building now houses the Dux de Lux vegetarian restaurant and an inscription on the Montreal Street side commemorates the 1929 extension. (See: The Arts Centre of Christchurch / Glyn Strange) Part of this mock-Tudor house is of two storeys, the other portion is of one, the lower having walls of brick and the upper of wood. The roof is of slate. Inside the building is panelled in rimu. At the time the garden was half an acre in size (See: The Press, 5 Oct. 1929, p. 12)

View more information

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 16, IMG0018

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo