Heritage

The laying of the foundation stones of the YMCA building and the Boys' Gordon Hall, corner of Hereford Street and Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch

The laying of the foundation stones of the YMCA building and the Boys' Gordon Hall, corner of Hereford Street and Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch

The laying of the foundation stones of the YMCA building and the Boys' Gordon Hall, corner of Hereford Street and Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch
[7 Sept. 1908]

The foundation stone of the new building for the Young Men's Christian Association was laid by the Hon. George Fowlds (1860-1934), Minister of Education. Later Mildred Cracroft Wilson (a daughter of Sir John Hall) laid the foundation stone of the portion of the building (on the first floor) which would be for the Boys' Gordon Hall. Temporary staging for the ceremony was erected on the Hereford Street frontage where the foundation stones were laid. On the platform were the Hon. G. Fowlds, Mrs J. Cracroft Wilson, Bishop Julius (1847-1938), Mr C.E. Salter (President of the YMCA), Mr J. Dryden Hall, Rev. J. Mackenzie, Mr William Reece and Mr P. Hercus. Buildings shown in the background are, from left: the City Council offices, corner of Oxford Terrace and Worcester street opened in 1887, the Gas Company and the Clarendon Hotel.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0021

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo