Heritage

The Riccarton Mill before the business was transferred to Addington

The Riccarton Mill before the business was transferred to Addington

The Riccarton Mill before the business was transferred to Addington
[ca. 1890]

William Derisley Wood (1824-1904) arrived in Canterbury on the Randolph in 1850. He erected the first windmill in Christchurch in 1856 in order to grind grain and his business grew into a successful grain export company. The mill was built in 1861 ready for the 1862 harvest near the site where Christchurch Girls' High School now stands. The firm relocated to Addington in 1891 because of the need to expand the business, such was the demand for the roller flour produced. For the next five years Wood Brothers operated both mills. In 1896 the Riccarton Mill, in what later became Wood Lane, off Fendalton Road, was sold to Richard Allen (1860?-1930) who operated it under the name Riccarton Roller Mills, producing Snowball flour. Business ceased in 1958 and the mill was demolished in 1974.

View more information

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0080

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo