Heritage

Cashmere (later Princess Margaret) Hospital, shown under construction

Cashmere (later Princess Margaret) Hospital, shown under construction

Cashmere (later Princess Margaret) Hospital, shown under construction
[1956]

The land for the hospital had been bought from the Cracroft Wilson estate by the North Canterbury Hospital Board in the 1930s. Construction began in May 1952 and the hospital was opened 31 Aug. 1959 by the Governor-General, the Viscount Cobham (1909-1977) and officially named The Princess Margaret Hospital. At one stage it was assumed that it would become Christchurch's main hospital but it was too far from the town centre. In 2004 the hospital cares for older persons and people with mental illnesses.

View more information

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0099

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo