Heritage

Uncle Tom's Cabin, New Brighton

Uncle Tom's Cabin, New Brighton

Uncle Tom's Cabin, New Brighton
[ca. 1920]

About 1911 Uncle Tom's Cabin, a general store, was established on the south side of Bowhill Road in the then new community of North New Brighton. H.R. Wade built the store and it had other owners, notably William Edward Leverett (1874?-1943) who was commonly known as Uncle Tom. However, it is likely that the store derived its name from the title of Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel, Uncle Tom's cabin. In the early days the store was the centre of the community.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 18, IMG0025

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo