Heritage

The Volunteers, probably the North Canterbury Rifle Battalion

The Volunteers, probably the North Canterbury Rifle Battalion

The Volunteers, probably the North Canterbury Rifle Battalion
[ca. 1905]
Bettger, H. D.
Military volunteer forces existed in New Zealand from 1858 until the establishment of the Territorial Force in 1910. Local volunteer corps (infantry, cavalry and artillery) received capitation grants from the government and elected their own officers. They had military drills, live ammunition and mock battles and men from youth to late middle age served. Some commanders were well-known local figures, e.g., Colonel Alexander Lean (1824-1893) and Henry Slater (1839-1917). The photographer was H. D. Bettger from Rangiora.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 18, IMG0040

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo