Heritage

Church of the Holy Trinity, Avonside

Church of the Holy Trinity, Avonside

Church of the Holy Trinity, Avonside
[1905]

"With the removal of the original sod church of the Holy Trinity, Avonside, which formed the centre portion of the present church, an old landmark has disappeared. It was the second church built in Christchurch, dating back to 1855, the first being St Michael's. Among the early settlers in the Avonside district was Rev Charles Mackie, whose home, Stricklands, gave its name to Strickland Street. In 1855 the first service was held in Mr Mackie's house, and from that time regular services were held on alternate Sundays at Stricklands and at Broome farm (now Dallington), then occupied by Mr John Dudley"
The church from the north-west

View more information

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 9, IMG0085

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo