Heritage

Market Place (later Victoria Square), Christchurch, 1862 : a panorama looking towards the north-east.

Market Place (later Victoria Square), Christchurch, 1862 : a panorama looking towards the north-east.

Market Place (later Victoria Square), Christchurch, 1862 : a panorama looking towards the north-east.
[1862]


Photo 1: shown in the background are Lummis, the painter, a skittle-alley, Ford's, the coopers, Royal Oak Hotel, Garrick Hotel, Colombo Street bridge. The iron and stone Victoria bridge is under construction Photo 2: Oxford Terrace and Colombo Street run parallel, with Armagh Street still unformed. In the background at left is St Luke's Church. Along Colombo Street from the left are C.W. Bishop's store, the first official post office and the market-house where from 1853 weekly farmers' markets were held. In 1862 this became the government post office. Further along Colombo Street is Mrs Williams' Glasgow House with three gables (later Armstrong's), alongside H.E. Alport's store and auction rooms. In the foreground along Oxford Terrace are an Office of Works and a store, the police station and gaol and the immigration barracks (later used by the volunteer fire brigade). There is a shingle pit in Armagh Street

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 16, IMG0003

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo