Heritage

Christchurch railway station

Christchurch railway station

Christchurch railway station
[1878]

This was designed in 1875 by John Godfrey Warner who was the railway engineer of the Canterbury Provincial Council. The foundation stone for the building was laid by the Provincial Superintendent William Rolleston (1831-1903) on 22 Nov. 1876 and the building opened 21 Dec. 1877. Built of red brick with Cass Peak and White Rock stone facings, at the time of its construction it was regarded as an outstanding example of Gothic architecture. It was demolished to make way for a new railway station in 1959

View more information

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 18, IMG0028

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo